PSOC Creator on Mac running Windows via Parallels Desktop USB not Recognised

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
onetwo
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins First reply posted 10 sign-ins

Hello,

I am currently Running PSOC Creator on a Mac M1 running Windows 11 via Parallels Desktop.

The software runs and builds as you would expect. However, I cannot get my KitProg to show up.

It appears as a device in both OSX and Windows, but appears to be stuck in a loop of resetting / restarting etc..

Anyone have a similar issue? any workarounds known? (many google tunnels later I still have no success)

Many Thanks

Nick

0 Likes
14 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Nick,

Can you please let me know how the device appears in the device manager? Does it appear like an unknown device?

Please provide a screenshot of the same.

Also, are you seeing this issue only with the kitprog device or is this issue there for any other USB device?

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes
onetwo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ekta,

Attached should be a screenshot of the device manager.  You can seeThe Kitprog appears as it should,  However, within the 'devices and printers' control panel dialog, kitprog seems to be doing something strange - it will appear, disappear then reappear in a constant loop - as if it is resetting?  This is often accompanied by the kitprog mode light flickering erratically too. 

All other USB devices work fine with no issue.

I have also tried the very same kitprog on different machines (Mac > Windows 10 on bootcamp), (PC > Windows 10) and the entire toolchain works perfectly.

(It may be of note, the machine I am having issue with is an M1 Macbook running Windows 11 on Parallels)

Thank you in advance for your time

Nick

Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 10.08.55.png

0 Likes
dparent94
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received 5 replies posted

Hi,

Any luck with this issue?  I am running Parallels 17.1.4 and Windows 11.  I can only get the Kitprog to be detected when I put it into bootloader mode. (I am truing to use KitProg, Not KitProg3)

Parallels ask for permission to connect to Cypress KitPRog.  After selecting yes,  I see USB Serial Device (COM4, but I do not see kitprog ) under Ports(COM &LPT).  Interestingly I do not see USB devices (as shown above), only USB controllers.  

Some background:  I am a professor at SJSU and I am using the Cyscope PSoC system to introduce transfer students to PSoC in a low-cost manner, but I did not realize that many students have MACs, and I asking them to buy a PC is not very low cost.  (Sorry if this is too much information.)  I have looked a the parallels website but it is slow going.

Thanks,

-Dave Parent

0 Likes

After following these instructions:https://kb.parallels.com/111725 I was able to get the Kitprog programmer to appear in other devices.  In the device manager, the kitprog has a yellow triangle that says the drivers are not installed.  I tried to install the drivers from the kitprog directory but an error message comes back driver not found.

0 Likes

Did you ever figure out the solution to this issue? I have students with the same problem.

0 Likes
Heyy. I didnt matte, sorry!

--
*Este e-mail foi enviado por um ALUNO da Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto
e não reflete a posição da Instituição.*
onetwo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave - afraid no luck using kitprog on parallels.

However, I have had success getting the whole chain to run on bootcamp (on a pre M1 mac..)  should that be of any use to your students?

Best

N

0 Likes

Alas but no.  The MAC owners all have (or will have)the M1 chips.  If school were in session or they were all SJSU students they could borrow a PC for the semester.  I read that Parallels 17.0.0 worked, and another is a trick to install that instead of the latest version.

Thanks,

-Dave

0 Likes

Hi mate, did u manage it to work? I'm a MacBook Air M1 user, and I need to make it work since im a student. Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Hi I was working with a rep from parallels, but I had to give the Mac book
back so I did not finish. They were helping me quite a bit even though I
was only on a trial usage plan. I think it will work eventually. Sorry I
know this is not much help.

Thanks anyway mate 😄

0 Likes
HenriqueT
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given First reply posted

Did u figure out a way to make it work mate?

0 Likes

afraid not -  sure it is possible but beyond my scope - (for reference I have even tried remote usb hosts (the kitprog running on a windows machine remotely, but accessed through M1 Mac) - works with other usb devices but sadly not the kitprog.

0 Likes
RaBa_2451646
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Finally, I successfully programmed a cypress MCU using PSoC Creator on an Apple Silicon-based Mac. That even without any need for any paid virtualization software such as Parallels. Please refer to attached documentation for detailed instructions.

The issue lies in the fact that the drivers provided by Infineon for detecting cypress MCUs are designed for x86 or x64 architectures. However, when running Windows on a Mac through Parallels in your case, the architecture of windows must be ARM based (to run on ARM based processor), rendering the drivers incompatible. The solution involves emulating an x64-based processor on the Apple Silicon processor (M1 or M2, M2 in my case) for an x64 windows (note: not virtualizing, but emulating), thereby making the x64-based drivers compatible. This approach not only resolves the driver compatibility issue for Psoc creator/programmer but also allows for smooth operation of all Windows applications on the apple silicon Mac.

However, I would recommend opting for online Windows emulation instead, as running x64 Windows directly on a Mac tends to be slow at times.

0 Likes