PSOC Creator Selecting Target Slow

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joshm
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 50 sign-ins 10 questions asked

I've been using PSOC Creator 4.4 on a very decent laptop running Windows 10 for a couple years now, and I have always been extremely annoyed everything that happens after I click "Program". It usually freezes for 20-30 seconds with the "Selecting Target" status, and then loads the "Select Debug Target" window, but that window is super glitchy, and I usually have to click and then wait for 5-10 seconds again before the target I selected is highlighted, and then unless I'm lucky, the screen freezes again for a few seconds before I can select "OK" and program the device. I usually build with Creator and then program using PSOC Programmer because Programmer doesn't always glitch out on me. 

Is this normal? Sometimes it is better, but it NEVER runs smoothly. Also, the entire program freezes during compilation, and windows says it is not responding. 

Sorry write such a whiny post, but I get soooo frustrated with this IDE sometimes, and I figured I would see if anyone has a way to make it better. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thank you for your response @Gautami_12. I had a few instances of Creator open as well as a few instances of VS Code and Sublime. Not always the case. I tried closing everything and opening a fresh instance of Creator with the Square Wave example. Selecting Target took 43 seconds. I tried unplugging from my docking station, and that cut it down to ~7 seconds. Plugged back in the docking station, and it still only took 7 seconds. Selecting debug targets is also much more responsive. I guess this time the delay must have been caused either by the docking station or something plugged into it. Clean and build took 30 seconds. 

A clean and build on my main project takes 5min, so it would be nice if I could at least look through my code while I'm waiting. Build without cleaning takes 80 seconds. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @joshm ,

I tried building a CE220291_TCPWM_Square_Wave example for the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE board (CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device(It took only 3-5 seconds to "Selecting Target")) and it took 30- 40 seconds to completely build the project. Can you please confirm if building on your system takes approximately the same time?

My system has the following specifications:

CPU: Intel core i5

RAM: 16GB

Windows 10, PSoC Creator 4.4

Can you also confirm, if there is any other software like VS code running in the background when you are building the project?

We have previously seen issues when using PSoC Creator with VS Code as mentioned in the KBA: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/PSoC-Creator-May-Crash-when-Run-Concurrentl...

Thanks and Regards
Gautami J

0 Likes

Thank you for your response @Gautami_12. I had a few instances of Creator open as well as a few instances of VS Code and Sublime. Not always the case. I tried closing everything and opening a fresh instance of Creator with the Square Wave example. Selecting Target took 43 seconds. I tried unplugging from my docking station, and that cut it down to ~7 seconds. Plugged back in the docking station, and it still only took 7 seconds. Selecting debug targets is also much more responsive. I guess this time the delay must have been caused either by the docking station or something plugged into it. Clean and build took 30 seconds. 

A clean and build on my main project takes 5min, so it would be nice if I could at least look through my code while I'm waiting. Build without cleaning takes 80 seconds. 

0 Likes
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @joshm ,

We also tried to clean and build on our main project(CE220291_TCPWM_Square_Wave01)It took only 37 seconds in my system.

Did you optimize your code and tried?

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes

Clean and build on that project took 30 seconds for me. I was saying my main project (which has nothing to do with square wave) takes 5 min for a clean build. 

0 Likes