PSOC Creator 4.2/4.4 always recompiling C files. Suggestions?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I have a large project.

I created base project under PSOC Creator x.x ( 4.0 ) and used it as a template for future projects.  Opened it in 4.2.  It upgraded the project.  worked with it.

I opened it under PSOC Creator 4.4.  IIRC it upgraded the project.  I did not update the components, as I want to go back to 4.2 if 4.4 fails.  It worked.

I went back to PSOC Creator 4.2  and opened the project.  It always recompiles the C files for an incremental build.

I went back to PSOC Creator 4.4, opened the project.  It always recompiles the C files for an incremental build.

I can email the project or a dropbox link to a infineon (formerly cypress) employee if needed.

A simple example project (led blink) switching between 4.2/4.4 does not show this behavior.

Any Suggestions?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

WaMa,

How are you instructing Creator to initiate a build?

Are you using a keyboard shortcut (Shift F6) or the Toolbar icon?  Len_CONSULTRON_0-1623085383065.png

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5

I apologize.  I should have indicated I am using the Icon, and it is set for BUILD.  (*not* clean and build).

If you do a *clean and build* It will ALWAYS recompile *all*, including running the Warp Verilog compiler subsystem.

This is NOT the case with this.  There are *no* include files from generated_source subdirectories that I can see.  I am unable to determine why it keeps rebuilding all the "c" code (but *not* the verilog code) each and every time.

I had it generate makefiles to see if there were any clues, but the make files generated are bare bones and not worth looking at, with no included dependencies.

Thanks!

0 Likes

WaMa,

I didn't find any Build Options to force a recompile on every Build command.  Hum...

Are you modifying the build contents AFTER the build completes?  Like with a Post-Build command?

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5

A "clean and Build" (which is available from menu dropdown or from icon dropdown) will force a full recompile of everything, including the Warp Verilog files.  No, I am *not* doing that. 🙂

No, I am not using pre or post build commands (and I *have* done that in the past on other projects to cause a text string with date of build to be included into the resultant binary.  Makes it difficult to do a binary compare, but is useful when using a serial terminal and trying to find out what version this *truly* is.  see socmaker.com to see how to do that.)

This appears to be a PSOC Creator Bug introduced in version 4.x (not sure which, but appears to affect 4.2) (others on the community platform have complained about this issue...do a google search)  I have  a project I can send to the Infineon engineers should they be interested.  Other projects were under NDA, mine is not.

At the moment, I don't really care, I just wanted to flag them that I *can* send them something that will reproduce this bug.  It is annoying, but the compile is only about 5 minutes or so.  Since they canceled customer support during the downturn, this is the way to contact them, as far as I know.

thanks!