Mirroring workspace folders on disk

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ErJa_4614451
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First like received

I'm using PSoC creator 4.3

In the Workspace Explorer window, when I create a folder in my source files folder, I would like that folder to also be created where those source files exist on my hard disk.  It seems that PSoC creater only creates these folders "virtually" in the project file.   Is there an option or method to have PSoC creator maintain these files on disk, as they appear in Workspace Explorer?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Erja,

Whe you create a schematic page in TopDesign and then perform the "Application Build" phase, it automatically creates a "Generated_Source" folder.   I'm assuming you're not referring to this folder.

I'm assuming you mean the "Header Files" and "Source Files" folders.   In this case, there is no folders by these names.  The .h and .c files are located in the root folder of the project.

There is a way to achieve what you are asking for.   However, I'm not sure the effort is worth it.

Here it goes anyways:
Relocating Header Files

1. Create a Folder in our project folder called "Header Files"
  2. Move all the header files for the project into the "Header Files" folder
  3. Select each of the header files in Creator and Right-click to "Remove From <Project>".  This will remove them
    pastedImage_10.png
  4. Now we have to add the files back.   Right-click on "Header Files/Add/Existing Item...".
    pastedImage_11.png
  5. Find each of the header files moved to the new ""Header Files" folder and select and "Open" them.
  6. Right-click on "<Project>/Build Settings..."
    pastedImage_3.png
  7. In the "Build Settings" window Add "ARM GCC 5.4-2016-q2-up/Compiler/Additional Include Directories" = ".\Header_Files".   This allows the compiler to find the new header folder.
    pastedImage_4.png

Relocating Source Files

8. Create a Folder in our project folder called "Source Files"
  9. Move all the source files for the project into the "Source Files" folder.
  10. Select each of the source files in Creator and Right-click to "Remove From <Project>".  This will remove them.
    pastedImage_17.png
  11. Now we have to add the files back.   Right-click on "Source Files/Add/Existing Item...".  
    pastedImage_18.png
  12. Find each of the source files moved to the new "Source Files" folder and select and "Open" them.

This should allow you to recompile with the header and source files relocated.

This is a lot of work but can be achievable.  The company I used to work for had their own Folder structure for their projects. 

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

I can not see this issue. I have tried creating a new .c file from workspace list in PSoC Creator 4.3, and it does exist on the source files list on my hard disk. Could provide more details about it?

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Erja,

Whe you create a schematic page in TopDesign and then perform the "Application Build" phase, it automatically creates a "Generated_Source" folder.   I'm assuming you're not referring to this folder.

I'm assuming you mean the "Header Files" and "Source Files" folders.   In this case, there is no folders by these names.  The .h and .c files are located in the root folder of the project.

There is a way to achieve what you are asking for.   However, I'm not sure the effort is worth it.

Here it goes anyways:
Relocating Header Files

1. Create a Folder in our project folder called "Header Files"
  2. Move all the header files for the project into the "Header Files" folder
  3. Select each of the header files in Creator and Right-click to "Remove From <Project>".  This will remove them
    pastedImage_10.png
  4. Now we have to add the files back.   Right-click on "Header Files/Add/Existing Item...".
    pastedImage_11.png
  5. Find each of the header files moved to the new ""Header Files" folder and select and "Open" them.
  6. Right-click on "<Project>/Build Settings..."
    pastedImage_3.png
  7. In the "Build Settings" window Add "ARM GCC 5.4-2016-q2-up/Compiler/Additional Include Directories" = ".\Header_Files".   This allows the compiler to find the new header folder.
    pastedImage_4.png

Relocating Source Files

8. Create a Folder in our project folder called "Source Files"
  9. Move all the source files for the project into the "Source Files" folder.
  10. Select each of the source files in Creator and Right-click to "Remove From <Project>".  This will remove them.
    pastedImage_17.png
  11. Now we have to add the files back.   Right-click on "Source Files/Add/Existing Item...".  
    pastedImage_18.png
  12. Find each of the source files moved to the new "Source Files" folder and select and "Open" them.

This is a lot of work but can be achievable.  The company I used to work for had their own Folder structure for their projects. 

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hi Len,

Thank you for your reply.  I have actually been doing that method that you mention.  It is a little inconvenient but it does work.  I wanted to make sure there was not some setting that I've missed to do this automatically.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 8:37:31 AM EST, LePo_1062026 <community-manager@cypress.com> wrote:

|

Cypress Developer Community

|

Mirroring workspace folders on disk

reply from LePo_1062026 in PSoC Creator & Designer Software - View the full discussion

Erja,

Here it goes anyways:

Relocating Header Files

- Create a Folder in our project folder called "Header Files"

- Move all the header files for the project into the "Header Files" folder

- Select each of the header files in Creator and Right-click to "Remove From ".  This will remove them.

https://community.cypress.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-269507-565075/pastedImage_17.png

- Now we have to add the files back.   Right-click on "Source Files/Add/Existing Item...".  

https://community.cypress.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-269507-565076/pastedImage_18.png

- Find each of the source files moved to the new "Source Files" folder and select and "Open" them.

Len

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Cypress Developer Community

Start a new discussion in PSoC Creator & Designer Software by email or at Cypress Developer Community

Following Mirroring workspace folders on disk in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Cypress Developer Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Cypress Developer Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Likes