Looking for the output of DBG_PRINTF() used in sample projects such as BLE_HID_Keyboard

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaSt_1539621
Level 2
Level 2
5 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

I am outputing a veriety of debug comments using the DBG_PRINTF() that is supplied in the example projects.

The problem is that I can't find the output. Do I have to open a command prompt and type something?

I've done this before and I remember that it is pretty simple once you find it, but I also remember that it is not very easy to find. I am returning to a project that I have not worked on in about a year.

It does not output to the Output window or anything else I could find in the IDE.

To be clear, I am just looking for the DBG_PRINTF() output that is used in several of the example projects so that I can read the comments to aid my debugging efforts.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Mark.

The output goes to an emulated com-port on your PC. Use a terminal program as PuTTY to display the data. There is some explanation to find in the Kitprog guide under "USB UART bridge"

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Mark.

The output goes to an emulated com-port on your PC. Use a terminal program as PuTTY to display the data. There is some explanation to find in the Kitprog guide under "USB UART bridge"

Bob

0 Likes
MaSt_1539621
Level 2
Level 2

That's it! Thanks for the quick reply. I don't see it in the doc but I only had a second to look. I will post back when I get a chance. Thanks again.

0 Likes
MaSt_1539621
Level 2
Level 2

That worked great. All I had to do is look up the COM port that is used by KitProg in the Windows device manager and then open a serial connection with the same COM port and settings in PuTTY.

Everything else is so simple and easy to set up in the Pioneer Kit that I think it is a little odd to make the Debug output something so obscure that it's buried on 73rd page of the guide. Reading the output of debug statements is very important to people new to the environment and it seems like something you would always want up front. Hopefully I will be able to find these instructions next time I have to jump into this real quick.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The "Debug" output is something to use as an additional tool. Mainly you can use the built-in capabilities to set breakpoints, inspect variables and analyze the call stack. Your Pioneer kit will help you to get in contact with the PSoC world. Really challenging will be to develop a gadget that does its work stand-alone as a real embedded application does. This is where the prototyping kits jump in as the CY8CKIT-043  You can snap off the programmer / debugging part (and use it for something else) and solder the kit with sensors and actuators.

Happy coding

Bob

Thanks! It looks like the CY8KIT-043 is just what I am looking for to prototype the circuitry into my project.

Have you used it with BLE? Do you know which BLE needs to be soldered on, and whether software updates are required after soldering it on? 

0 Likes