How to update cyacd firmware from Mac

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JBtj_3717001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

For windows i'm using " USB Bootloader Host.zip​" (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an73503-psoc-usb-hid-bootloader). However, I cannot find the same for Mac Os. Does such software even exist?

I'm using the CY8c5866 chip in my project.

Best regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Bootloader Host project in the application note is a Windows C# based Form Application and it uses "Bootloader_Utils.dll". It also uses "CYUSB.dll" which comes as part of CypressUSBSuite. Now all these dlls are based on .NET framework and are compatible only on Windows platforms.

If you want to create an application like Bootloader Host in macOS, you would need to use XCode and probably Swift or Objective C scripting languages. For USB Drivers supported in macOS download the drivers from here. Although the drivers are mentioned to be supported for FX3 USB controllers, the APIs are not specific to a set of VIDs/PIDs, so I think it should work for PSoC5 as well.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi,

PSOC Creator does not support MAC OS but if you want to run PSOC Creator on MAC OS you can use PARALLES DESKTOP 15 FOR MAC

(Run windows on MAC).

If you are talking about the visual studio code then you cannot use MAC OS, since all API's are written for WINDOWS.

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda

Thank you for this

0 Likes
JBtj_3717001
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I see my question is quite... cryptic...

I'm in the process of updating the firmware for our device. To install it on our devices over USB, I intergrated the "USB Bootloader Host" project in our software for windows and for windows users this works great!

However, some of our user use our device with MAC only. Is it possible to update the firmware (cyacd file) from a MAC using USB?

Best regards,

0 Likes

The Bootloader Host project in the application note is a Windows C# based Form Application and it uses "Bootloader_Utils.dll". It also uses "CYUSB.dll" which comes as part of CypressUSBSuite. Now all these dlls are based on .NET framework and are compatible only on Windows platforms.

If you want to create an application like Bootloader Host in macOS, you would need to use XCode and probably Swift or Objective C scripting languages. For USB Drivers supported in macOS download the drivers from here. Although the drivers are mentioned to be supported for FX3 USB controllers, the APIs are not specific to a set of VIDs/PIDs, so I think it should work for PSoC5 as well.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes