How to compile project

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JBtj_3717001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a handheld device that contains both the ARM® Cortex®-M3 CY8c5866 and ARM® Cortex®-M0 CY8C4247-BL chip.

To update the firmware, we received .cyacd files (110KB) and it all works fine. However, we would like to maintain and compile the firmware ourselfes. I obtained the full firmware source code, and would like to edit and compile it.

I have no experience with PSoC Creator yet...

I installed "PSoCCreatorSetup_3.3_dp1_b9674.exe" (which was adviced) and loaded the project. Running F6 results in the same error as stated in this question: Cannot find Generated_Sources

After some searching, I found that "Keil" provides a compiler. However, when I set the path, it returns a message that the limit of 32KB is exceeded. The paid version is quite expansive, and its unclear to me what paid version I would require.

Question: Is Keil the only compiler I can use, or are there other (free / better / cheaper) compilers that I can use?

I was advised to install PSoC Creator 3.3 dp1

Question: Is there any downside to installing a newer version of PSoC Creator

Thank you,

-J

0 Likes
1 Solution

You need to install the Keil ARM MDK compiler since it doesn't come packaged with PSoC Creator.

Once installed, in PSoC Creator, go to Tools > Options > ARM Toolchains and then point to the bin directory as shown below:

"C:\Keil\ARM\ARMCC\bin"

pastedImage_1.png

Click Apply and then build the project. Let me know if it works

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

>>"Is there any downside to installing a newer version of PSoC Creator"

--> No. There will not be any problem.

We recommend you to use PSoC Creator 4.2 (latest version) obtained from the link below and compile your project. If you are seeing any errors when compiled please attach the screenshot of the error you are getting.

https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I downloaded PSoC Creator 4.2 and installed it on a clean pc (no PSoC installed prior on it).

After opening the project, I updated a couple of components(?), of which the IDE told me an update was available.

However, after pressing F6, I'm getting the Errors:

No location was selected for the binaries of the tool chain "ARM MDK Generic". The tool chain will not build until a location is selected. Use Tools > Options > Project Management > Generic Toolchains to set the location of the appropriate binaries.

Build error: ERROR: No location was selected for the binaries of the tool chain "ARM MDK Generic". The tool chain will not build until a location is selected. Use Tools > Options > Project Management > Generic Toolchains to set the location of the appropriate binaries

If I go to Project > Build Settings > Toolchain, it tells me "ARM MDK Generic"

I can change it to ARM GCC 5.4.2016-q2-update or ARM GCC Generic.

When I change it to ARM GCC 5.4.2016-q2-update, the "Output" tab does act more lively.

It does however result in 8 errors

[3] Build error: address 0x1731a of ... ProjectName.cydsn\CortexM3\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\ProjectName.elf section `.text' is not within      region `rom'

[4] Build error: ... ProjectName.cydsn\CortexM3\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\ProjectName.elf section `.eh_frame' will not fit in region `rom'

[5] Build error: section .cyloadablemeta loaded at [0000ffc0,0000ffff] overlaps section .text loaded at [00002b00,00017319]

[6] Build error: region `rom' overflowed by 0 bytes

[7] Build error: undefined reference to `log'

[8] Build error: The command 'arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe' failed with exit code '1'.

Error [1] and [2] are the ones in the previous quote block.

I do know that this project can be compiled; I also received the cyacd file... But why do I get these errors? Is it because I changed the Toolchain?

Also, why error [7], I mean, do I need something special to use`log()`?

Best regards,

-J

-- Edit:

Some files in the project contain chinese characters. However, they are shown like //´æ´¢±êÖ¾

What font, supported in PSoC Creator, would be able to display the correct chinese characters, so I can translate them?

0 Likes

You need to install the Keil ARM MDK compiler since it doesn't come packaged with PSoC Creator.

Once installed, in PSoC Creator, go to Tools > Options > ARM Toolchains and then point to the bin directory as shown below:

"C:\Keil\ARM\ARMCC\bin"

pastedImage_1.png

Click Apply and then build the project. Let me know if it works

Regards,

Dheeraj