EEPROM Use Error in Byte access

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Doing the following -

#define CYDEV_EE_BASE 0x40008000u        // This is Creator generated

uint8   nSavedEE = 0;

I get a warning on line 420, but does not show up in warnings notice window after compile., Still stays however

when doing further code work. Warning shown below.

pastedImage_1.png

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Dana,

At first, the compiler converted the 32-bit (unsigned int) value 0x40008000 (1073774592) into a 16-bit (unsigned short) value 0x8000 (32768) to pass the value to the function EEPROM_ReadByte() as the argument.

The function receives a 16-bit value 0x8000 (32768) and calculates the actual address as following statement.

retByte = *((reg8 *) (CYDEV_EE_BASE + address));

So, the returned value will be read from 0x40010000 which is a "Digital interconnect configuration" register area.

I don't know why you think the program is working fine.

But this is an incorrect use of EEPROM_ReadByte() function.

Anyway, EEPROM_WriteByte() function has a protection not to access an invalid address.  So, the "Digital interconnect configuration" are will not be destroyed.

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Dana,

Following is the description in the EEPROM component datasheet.

GS004850.png

The argument address of this API function indicates the offset address of an EEPROM block starting from 0x0000.

So, if you want to access the first byte, 0x0000 should be provided to the argument.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes

The define, cypress generated, was used in the f() call, so it had the

correct address. So still leaves us with why are we getting a warning ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Dana,

At first, the compiler converted the 32-bit (unsigned int) value 0x40008000 (1073774592) into a 16-bit (unsigned short) value 0x8000 (32768) to pass the value to the function EEPROM_ReadByte() as the argument.

The function receives a 16-bit value 0x8000 (32768) and calculates the actual address as following statement.

retByte = *((reg8 *) (CYDEV_EE_BASE + address));

So, the returned value will be read from 0x40010000 which is a "Digital interconnect configuration" register area.

I don't know why you think the program is working fine.

But this is an incorrect use of EEPROM_ReadByte() function.

Anyway, EEPROM_WriteByte() function has a protection not to access an invalid address.  So, the "Digital interconnect configuration" are will not be destroyed.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes

Thank you so much. I came to realize debugging last night the APIs "masked"

the base address from the user, so user did not need that in his EEPROM address

calculation APIs to gain access to EEPROM address. Only if user is doing absolute

address calculations does one need this base address value in his calculations.

To wit I was not paying attention to your original post.

Thanks again.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes