Debug console in PSoC Creator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RiMo_301056
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins First solution authored 10 replies posted

Hello,

this question has been asked several times in the past, and I just wanted to know if there are other/new solutions to it in the mean time.

The question is:

Using PSoC Creator and a MiniProg3 with a PSoC3 (or PSoC5LP) device, is there a way to send some text to a debug console inside PSoC Creator? (e.g. similar to RTT viewer with Segger Embedded Studio?)

I found the following discussions and am not sure if they do (still) answer my need. Furthermore, after reading all of them, I am even more confused than before

Here are the discussions I found on the topic:

Debug output to IDE Output Tab ... or IDE logging?

(https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Debug-output-to-IDE-Output-Tab-or-I...)

and here:

Output debug messages to IDE?

(https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Output-debug-messages-to-IDE/m-p/182...)

and here:

Serial Console Debug (SWV on PSoC3 and PSoC5LP)

(https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Serial-Console-Debug-SWV-on-PSoC3-a...)

In some of the discussions, the Cypress application "Bridge Control Panel" is mentioned. But as far as I can understand, it is mutually exclusive with the PSoC Creator debugger, it is not possible to use them both at the same time (i.e. debugging and having a debug console).

Our PCB has the SWV pin (sometimes also called SWO pin) of the CY8C3866AXI connected to pin 6 of the 10-pin debug connector which interfaces to the MiniProg3. But I couldn't figure out:

1. how to send data (text) out to the SWV pin from my software code?
  2. how to display the received data on the PC, while at the same time using the PSoC Creator debugger?

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

RiMo,

There is no Debug Console in Creator. It is unlikely that it will ever be added to the creator, AFAIK Cypress has no further commitment to the Creator. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

RiMo,

The simplest way would be using an UART and a Terminal program. For data plotting I recommend a SerialPlot, which also uses UART

SerialPlot: interface to real-time data charts 

SerialPlot_basic_01a_B.png  

RiMo_301056
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you odissey1 for your answer!

It is good to know that such a tool exists. However, my original question:

"Does a debug console feature exist in PSoC Creator (that is able to display data sent over the SWV  (sometimes also called SWO) debug pin), and how to use it ?"

is still unanswered and according to the links provided in my original post (see above), it is frequently asked !

The advantage of a solution within PSoC Creator, that can take advantage of the SWV line - which is connected and supported by the MiniProg3 debug adapter - would be that:

• no additional hardware resources of the PSoC chip are used (such as UART, USB and related I/O pins). It would only use the SWV pin, which in many designs is already "reserved" for the MiniProg3 debug access port.
  • it would allow using the debugger (breakpoints, single step, ....) and the debug console at the same time within PSoC Creator

The closest solution that I found is the one proposed by Kris here:

Serial Console Debug (SWV on PSoC3 and PSoC5LP)

Kris developed a PSoC component ("SWV") which routes printf() commands to the SWV pin and therefore is capable to send them to the PC over the MiniProg3 adapter. The component uses no extra hardware resources (only software). However, a dedicated PC application (also provided by Kris) is needed to hook to the MiniProg3 and display the received data. This application contends the MiniProg3 to PSoC Creator, meaning that it is not possible to have both active at the same time (code debugging and printf debug console).

To summarize, as far as I understand, one has to accept a trade off:

• either use extra HW resources 😥 (and pins) in the PSoC chip (UART or USB) to send debug messages and use a solution such as that proposed by odissey1,
  • or use Kris' solution, at the cost of having to choose between code debugging (breakpoints, ...) or debug console (but not both at the same time! 😥)

Therefore, may I kindly ask again for a clear [YES/NO] answer to my question:

"Does a debug console feature exist in PSoC Creator (that is able to display data sent over the SWV  (sometimes also called SWO) debug pin) ?"

If the answer is YES: where can we find documentation on how to use it?

If the answer is NO: dear developers of PSoC Creator, PLEASE 🙏 consider adding this feature in one of your next updates. Thank you so much!

Many thanks!

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

RiMo,

There is no Debug Console in Creator. It is unlikely that it will ever be added to the creator, AFAIK Cypress has no further commitment to the Creator. 

0 Likes
RiMo_301056
Level 3
Level 3

Okay, thanks you for the clarification.

But hmmm .... 🤔, what do you mean with:

Cypress has no further commitment to the Creator

What is then the recommended and supported PSoC development tool ? 

0 Likes

Cypress put it bets on the ModusToolbox. The Creator will last probably until its developer(s) find a new job. 

0 Likes

@odissey1 wrote:

Cypress put it bets on the ModusToolbox.

🤢

0 Likes

@odissey1 wrote:

Cypress put it bets on the ModusToolbox. The Creator will last probably until its developer(s) find a new job. 

Hopefully not !!!!

It only supports PSoC4, PSoC6 and a few other Infineon MCUs.

0 Likes

I also very much hope not.  I recall there being a "Not Recommended for new designs" on the PSoC5 product page for a short time a while back (anyone else remember this?  or am I just misremembering?) and also posts like this and this which make me a little bit anxious about the future of the PSoC5 as well as Creator lines.

Which absolutely stinks if that's the case that they're losing support.  The minute PSoC5 is gone without a viable UDB focused replacement is the minute I go looking for another ecosystem to migrate to.

I'd really like a fix for this bug in Creator though so I hope it's not done 😁.

0 Likes

Hi @KyTr_1955226

I believe you might be referring to PSoC 5 devices and not PSoC 5LP devices. PSoC 5LP devices and PSoC Creator is still a supported development environment. That being said, the newer devices will be supported in ModusToolbox and it is unlikely that any enhancements or new features will be added to PSoC Creator. 

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes