Creator 4.4 overrides default Win10 extensions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi,

I typically use Creator 4.0 and by default *.cywrk and *.cyproj extensions are configured to be opened using Creator 4.0.

I recently installed Creator 4.4, which overrode  my default extensions; now clicking the file opens it in Creator 4.4, which is not intended. 

Is there any way to assign default extensions to use a specific version of the Creator (4.0) in Win10? I didn't have such issue with Win8.1 machine. So far no luck on Win10 - regular extension assignment using Explorer Options doesn't work.

/odissey1

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @odissey1 

We have observed the same issue at our end when using PSoC Creator 4.1 and 4.2

In case you are willing to upgrade your project to a newer version of PSoC Creator, it is recommended to use PSoC Creator 4.4(the latest version). In case you don't want to update the 4.0 project but  you have opened it in creator 4.4 you can simply close the project.

In case you have you want to keep 4.0 as the default PSoC creator path then you can try following the workaround in my first post

Best Regards
Ekta

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ekta_N

Hi @odissey1 ,

One workaround is to uninstall PSoC Creator 4.0 and install it again when the PSoC Creator 4.4 is already installed on the device. This would cause the default path to change back to PSoC Creator 4.0. 

This worked for me in Windows 10.

Also, could you please elaborate "I recently installed Creator 4.4, which overrode  my default extensions; now clicking the file opens it in Creator 4.4, which permanently corrupts original Creator 4.0 file."

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes

Ekta,

>"...opens it in Creator 4.4, which permanently corrupts original Creator 4.0 file"

- I investigated that deeper. It appears that Creator 4.4 can open 4.0 files, and if project is simply closed after that, it does not modify/corrupt 4.0 files, and they still can be opened in Creator 4.0 again. If project got build by Creator 4.4 after opening, it cannot be reverted to 4.0 any more, and Creator 4.0 won't open it.

That is not the case for Creator 4.1 and 4.2. When project workspace file is clicked and being opened by e.g. Creator 4.2, it is being modified at that moment. Simple closing the Creator 4.2 doesn't help, as files are already modified into new format,  and Creator 4.0 won't open it again.

Most of my old projects remain in 4.0 format and I hesitant to upgrade or modify them. I am glad Creator 4.4 at least gives an opportunity to close 4.0 files gracefully.      

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hi @odissey1 

We have observed the same issue at our end when using PSoC Creator 4.1 and 4.2

In case you are willing to upgrade your project to a newer version of PSoC Creator, it is recommended to use PSoC Creator 4.4(the latest version). In case you don't want to update the 4.0 project but  you have opened it in creator 4.4 you can simply close the project.

In case you have you want to keep 4.0 as the default PSoC creator path then you can try following the workaround in my first post

Best Regards
Ekta