Cannot compile PSoC4 BLE projects

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BoMa_4329931
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I am getting errors when I try to compile a(ny) PSoC4 BLE Project. The issue is probably  caused by a country specific character in my username.

Environment: PSoC Creator 4.2 downloaded and installed freshly today. Windows 10 (up to date)

The lines in error are here:

arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe -Wl,--start-group -o "D:\Cypress Tesstarea\PSoC 4  BLE\BLETest\BLETest.cydsn\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\BLETest.elf" .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\main.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cyfitter_cfg.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\cymetadata.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\Cm0Start.o .\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\BLETest.a "C:\Users\J?rg\Documents\PSoC Creator\4.2\Downloads ( 4.2).cylib\BLE_v3_60\Library\gccCyBLEStack_BLE_SOC_CENTRAL.a" -mcpu=cortex-m0 -mthumb -L Generated_Source\PSoC4 -Wl,-Map,.\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_541\Debug/BLETest.map -T Generated_Source\PSoC4\cm0gcc.ld -specs=nano.specs -Wl,--gc-sections -g -ffunction-sections -Og -ffat-lto-objects -Wl,--end-group

arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: error: C:\Users\J?rg\Documents\PSoC Creator\4.2\Downloads ( 4.2).cylib\BLE_v3_60\Library\gccCyBLEStack_BLE_SOC_CENTRAL.a: Invalid argument

The command 'arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe' failed with exit code '1'.

--------------- Build Failed: 07/03/2019 14:58:17 ---------------

Look at the "J?rg" which is my username "Jörg".

so, how can I change the location/path for the downloaded library. Moving the files to a different location I can do myself.

I reported this issue one or two years ago, but there was no permaneent solution yet (as far as I remember).

I would like to refuse going to the city hall and pled for having my name changed. Loging in with a different username just for the PSoC BLEs community contribution (5-10 times a day) is a bit tough.

Any kind of help?

Bob

0 Likes
1 Solution
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Dear Bob-san,

You are right!

I have confirmed that in my "Dependencies", "Downloads (4.2)" contains my "Documents" path >_<

I have just tried to move my "Documents\PSoC Creator", and found that I could not build the project I'm working on now.

Recovering the "PSoC Creator" made it work again, though.

I have un-installed "PSoC Creator" and removed "My Documents\PSoC Creator"

and re-installed "PSoC Creator", then it created "My Documents\PSoC Creator".

So I'm afraid that there is no way to exclude "My Documents\PSoC Creator" path from the PSoC Creator's Environment.

This problem seems to be much more serious than I was expecting, if our user name has non standard ascii letter(s).

Probably we need to ask Cypress to implement "selector" for download path to the PSoC Creator.

If all we need is compile a project, we may be able to workaround to move the library to somewhere else and modify the makefile,

but it won't be a standard work flow.

I'm very sorry that after all I could not help you with this.

For the time being, the only workaround I can think of is use an account name composed of standard ascii and numerical letters.

I wish Cypress will notice this problem and implement a choice to redirect the "My Document\PSoC Creator" to some other path.

Best Regards,

6-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hello, Bob-san,

I did not know about this path, but as far as I tried,

Menu : Tools / Options

Tools_options.JPG

In the PSoC Creator's Options dialog,(700650 is my user id).

I think you can change the location by using "Browse.." button

then try assign a path which does not contain special characters.

I usually use "C:\Cypress\" for my self.

PSoC_Creator_Options.JPG

moto

0 Likes

Good shot, Motoo-san. But this option I have already used and it doesn't have any impact on the issue.

Bob

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Bob-san,

> But this option I have already used and it doesn't have any impact on the issue.

Right! I should have really realized that the questioner was you 😉

Well, although there should be many things we'd like to try,

but off my head, and if you can put up with it,

how about changing your account name on your PC?

Best Regards,

4-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes

I wrote "Loging in with a different username just for the PSoC BLEs community contribution (5-10 times a day) is a bit tough."

I have some other installations on my PC that depend on my original username. When there is ANY other workaround I would like to use that.

Bob

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Bob-san,

I think that rescuing the projects currently existing under your name folder may be difficult.

I hope that you have not done much work on it (or those).

Then what I tried this morning was.

(1) Delete "<My Documents>\PSoC Creator" folder (or just move it somewhere else to prevent using same folder)

(2) Select Menu "Tools > Options"

Browse and assign pathes which does not contain special letters (I don't like even "space" included)

000-tools-options.JPG

(3) From Menu, Select "File > Code Example ... "

001-Find_Code_Example.JPG

(4) Select an example and "Create Project"

002-select-a-project.JPG

(5) Now the "Create Project" Dialog shows the path I assigned at "Tools > Options"

003-Project-Dialog.JPG

(6) New sample projects were created under the newly specified folder instead of "<my document>/PSoC Creator" Folder.

I hope from now on, the example project should be able to be compiled.

Best Regards,

5-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes

It still doesn't work. The reason are not the project files. Have a deeper look at the error message.

The path in question is C:\Users\J?rg\Documents\PSoC Creator\4.2\Downloads ( 4.2).cylib\BLE_v3_60\Library

This seems to come from the "dependencies" where some paths for additional libs are already inserted by the system.

Bob

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Bob-san,

Sorry for my short-site.

If it's the case, I wonder if you can see the "BLE" library in the Menu "Help > Update Manager" dialog?

If you can see it, hopefully you can "uninstall" it.

Then re-install it after the tools > Options -> setting paths are done.

And if above does not work, I would try

(1) uninstall PSoC Creator

(2) delete or at least move "C:\Users\j?rg|Documents\PSoC Creator" folder

(3) install PSoC Creator

(4) Menu "Tools > Options" set those paths to some reasonable location

(5) download and install the code example for BLE

(May be you need to re-install setup program for the KIT if you are using one)

Best Regards,

5-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Bob-san,

I tried to reproduce or follow the step by using my home PC.

I used the code example "BLE_FindMe".

And tried to see the difference in the log of your and mine.

The problem part of your log was

(bob log)

=======================

"C:\Users\J?rg\Documents\PSoC Creator\4.2\Downloads ( 4.2).cylib\BLE_v3_60\Library\gccCyBLEStack_BLE_SOC_CENTRAL.a"

=======================

And the counterpart of my log was

(moto log)

=======================

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\CyComponentLibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib\BLE_v3_30\Library\gccCyBLEStack_BLE_SOC_PERIPHERAL.a"

=======================

Here,  I noticed that your "PSoC Creator" seems to be installed under

"<your folder>\Documents"

where mine was installed

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress"

I suppose that you installed "PSoC Creator" for "only myself" not "for everyone" right?

So if you uninstall "PSoC Creator" and install it either

(1) For everyone

or

(2) For my self but specify folder with no special letter(s) in the Path

may take care of the problem.

I hope this will help us to begin our weekend,

but let me know the outcome, anyway 😉

Best Regards,

6-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes

pastedImage_0.png

No \User\Jörg\ in the Cypress Creator installation path.

You find the path in question here

pastedImage_1.png

Bob

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Bob-san,

You are right!

I have confirmed that in my "Dependencies", "Downloads (4.2)" contains my "Documents" path >_<

I have just tried to move my "Documents\PSoC Creator", and found that I could not build the project I'm working on now.

Recovering the "PSoC Creator" made it work again, though.

I have un-installed "PSoC Creator" and removed "My Documents\PSoC Creator"

and re-installed "PSoC Creator", then it created "My Documents\PSoC Creator".

So I'm afraid that there is no way to exclude "My Documents\PSoC Creator" path from the PSoC Creator's Environment.

This problem seems to be much more serious than I was expecting, if our user name has non standard ascii letter(s).

Probably we need to ask Cypress to implement "selector" for download path to the PSoC Creator.

If all we need is compile a project, we may be able to workaround to move the library to somewhere else and modify the makefile,

but it won't be a standard work flow.

I'm very sorry that after all I could not help you with this.

For the time being, the only workaround I can think of is use an account name composed of standard ascii and numerical letters.

I wish Cypress will notice this problem and implement a choice to redirect the "My Document\PSoC Creator" to some other path.

Best Regards,

6-Jul-2019

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes