CY8C24894 firmware upload

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaSm_4832531
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I hope this is OK for me to post and is the correct place to post this question.

I have a HOTAS PC joystick game controller (Hand On Throttle And Stick) which uses a Cypress CY8C24894. Unfortunately, the throttle stopped being recognised by windows via USB. Apparently this is very common and sourcing a repolacement PCB direct from Thrustmaster is the fix. I've contacted Thrustmaster and hopefully I'll get a replacement PCB soon.

However, being somewhat of a electronics hobbiest, I started to wonder how easy it would be to source a new chip. I've soldered many small SMD packages before. So I ordered a couple of CY8C24894 chips and I've since replaced the defective chip with a new one.

Now, obviously this chip is brand new and has nothing on it. Obviously the proprietary Thrustmaster firmware updater app doesn't recognise it. I'm assuming I need to get a bootloader onto the chip via the I2C interface? But, even then, will the Thrustmaster updater app recognise it?

Anyway, no great shakes if I can't do anything. Hopefully a replacement PCB will arrive from TM soon. I was just curious, I like a challenge and I'm always up for learning something new.

If anyone can provide any information on how to get the TM firmware onto the new cyrpess chip, I would be very grateful to you.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

The CY8C24894 needs to have the proprietary bootloader firmware from Thrustmaster. Then the firmware updater app will recognize and perform the necessary updates.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

The CY8C24894 needs to have the proprietary bootloader firmware from Thrustmaster. Then the firmware updater app will recognize and perform the necessary updates.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes

Many thanks SampathS_11

As I thought, I'm pretty stuffed

I may attempt to build my own custom firmware!

Thanks again.

0 Likes