Building PSoC Creator projects in Linux

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Is it possible to build the output hex files in a Linux environment? I know the PSoC Creator has library components that generate source code, but assuming that generated code is available, could we build the output using a makefile? Is there any documentation on how to do this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Corey,

I have no Linux development system running so I won't be of much help.

If I understand your question correctly:

1. You would create all the source files in PSoC Creator (including those of the components) on a Windows system. 
  2. Move the source files to a Linux system
  3. Compile them on the Linux system
  4. Program the PSoC on the Linux system.
  5. If needed, modify the source files on the Linux system.
  6. Go to step 4.

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Here are my understanding of the issues with the steps listed above:

• Step 1 doable.  That is the main intent of Creator.
  • Step 2 doable.  Moving files should be a problem.
  • Step 3 ???   Someone would have to weigh in if the Build phase can occur outside of Windows.  Even if you can get a compiler and linker to work with the source files on Linux, there are other tools such as warp that builds an image of how the analog blocks and routing and digital blocks and routing need to be configured and assigned to the correct registers in the target PSoC.  I don't know if a Linux version of these tools exist.
  • Step 4 doable (maybe).  The PSoC Programmer is used on Windows.  I don't know if an equivalent is available for Linux.  Cypress/Infineon does provide some APP notes and some source code for PSoC programming.  Hum.  don't know.
  • Step 5 doable.  The exception is if the source code refers to non-.c or .h files.

I don't know if this was helpful.  Just some thoughts.  Hopefully someone who may have conquered this issue can be of help.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Corey,

PsoC Creator was coded to run on the Windows platform only.  However, many people have been successful in getting Creator to run under Lindows.

Len
0 Likes
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the input Len, I would assume that putting PSoC Creator under Wine or another emulation method in Linux could be successful.  The question specifically was around compiling, linking, and building a hex file under Linux when you have all the source files from PSOC Creator after generating the application.  In this way, the designer could work on their application source code in Linux and use a makefile to build the hex output.  I'm thinking the compilation and linking with GCC, etc. would be possible, but that making the final HEX could be the challenge.

So the ask is if anyone has done this and been successful.

0 Likes

Corey,

I have no Linux development system running so I won't be of much help.

If I understand your question correctly:

1. You would create all the source files in PSoC Creator (including those of the components) on a Windows system. 
  2. Move the source files to a Linux system
  3. Compile them on the Linux system
  4. Program the PSoC on the Linux system.
  5. If needed, modify the source files on the Linux system.
  6. Go to step 4.

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Here are my understanding of the issues with the steps listed above:

• Step 1 doable.  That is the main intent of Creator.
  • Step 2 doable.  Moving files should be a problem.
  • Step 3 ???   Someone would have to weigh in if the Build phase can occur outside of Windows.  Even if you can get a compiler and linker to work with the source files on Linux, there are other tools such as warp that builds an image of how the analog blocks and routing and digital blocks and routing need to be configured and assigned to the correct registers in the target PSoC.  I don't know if a Linux version of these tools exist.
  • Step 4 doable (maybe).  The PSoC Programmer is used on Windows.  I don't know if an equivalent is available for Linux.  Cypress/Infineon does provide some APP notes and some source code for PSoC programming.  Hum.  don't know.
  • Step 5 doable.  The exception is if the source code refers to non-.c or .h files.

I don't know if this was helpful.  Just some thoughts.  Hopefully someone who may have conquered this issue can be of help.

Len
0 Likes
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee

Thanks again Len.  I believe that your Step 3 occurs AFTER the fitting so by this time you have everything as source or object files from PSoC Creator.  The "warp" fitting occurs during the "generate application" phase and that would be done on the PC.  So Step 3 is really a compile with GCC and link using make.  But the last step in the make is to generate a HEX file from the link output, and I'm thinking that is a Cypress tool built for Windows (cyelftool? cyhextool?)

0 Likes

Corey,

I don't know if this will help:

Check out this link:  free-and-open-source-software-download

This is source code to some PSoC tools.   Hopefully you can find a tool you want and be able to port it to Linux.

Len
0 Likes