Bootloader compatibility issues on PSoC Creator 3.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I'm using a board which has a Bootloader app generated using PSoC Creator 3.0 using UART. Now, using PSoC Creator 3.1 the Bootloader Host cannot program my aplications (neither new apps nor old ones). I've gotten diffent error messages from:

"Unable to read data from the target device"

to Checksum errors.

I never had problems before and now I'm even having errors with the Standalone Bootloader Host. I thought It would work fine since it is a Santdalone version, but it is not.

¿Does anyone is having similar issues?

Thanks   
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The heap and stack size were reduced in 3.1, try restoring to 3.0 levels 4K and 16K respectively.

3.1 default settings are now 128 bytes and 2K.

System tab in Fitterxxxxx*.cydwr file, workspace explorer near the top.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The heap and stack size were reduced in 3.1, try restoring to 3.0 levels 4K and 16K respectively.

3.1 default settings are now 128 bytes and 2K.

System tab in Fitterxxxxx*.cydwr file, workspace explorer near the top.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my project created with 3.1 I have 256 at Heap Size and 1K at Stack Size (a little bit different). Still, I will change to 4k and 16k and try it in a few hours. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for you!!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You will have to stick to Creator 3.0 until you reprogrammed the bootloader. I remember to have seen in a Cypress documentation (I'll search for) that revision changes of CyBoot require a new bootloader compile and program.

There might be a chance to replace the old Bootloader with a new one per program, but I think this is a case for the Cypress team. I suggest you to create a MyCase (Support&Community-> Technical Support->Create a MyCase) and keep us informed of the result.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bob thanks for your replay/advice and let me say those are bad news. I forgot to say that this problem happens with PSoC 4 devices only. When using PSoC 3 with a bootloader created with the PSoC Creator 3.0 and a bootloadable with PSoC Creator 3.1 we have no issues.

I haven't been able to try the solution suggested by Dana. 

I'll keep informing you all.

Thanks!!

UPDATE:

The bootloader for the PSoC 4 uses the UART.

The bootloader for the PSoC 3 uses the USB.

Thanks

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I just found this note in an AppNote

"PSoC Creator is designed such that bootloadable projects built with new versions can be linked to and are compatible with bootloaders built with older versions."

AppNote here www.cypress.com/

So it should work. Best would be to file a technical case.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As said before, I forgot to tell we where having problems with PSoC 4 devices, so I can't use Dana's suggestion. There is not enough RAM at the PSoC 4 to change to 16K.

I donwloaded the the pdf file you found and I'll read it carefully but I guess it haven't been updated for a long time. I'll get in touch with the technical support team.

Thank you all

0 Likes