Batch build project with changing preprocessor defines

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read a few forum posts that come close to describing how this may be done, but none of them have so far answered the question.

Basically this is what I need to do:

I have a PSoC Creator 3.2 project for a PSoC3 device. I am using the Keil C51 toolchain. For each output device I need a unique number (let's call it an address) that I hard-code into the source via a #define.

I need to generate 100s of HEX files with different values compiled into the source. What I'd like to be able to do is automate the process so that I can let it run on its own without worrying about it. It is going to be a huge waste of time and effort to manually change the value, re-build the project, and re-name the resulting HEX file for each value.

Ideally for each value change, the output file should contain the value in the filename.

For instance, if the pre-processor is:

#define VALUE  23

the generated output file should be:

firmware_name_XXX_0023.hex

Where XXX is the version number pulled from (or pushed into) another source file. Or something like that. If I had control over the generated filename that would be even better.

I recognize that I can pass DF flags to c51, but that is only part of the process.

In any other (non-Cypress) project, I'd have a Makefile where I could script the generation process. However, because of the layers of code-generation for these devices, it doesn't seem feasible.

Is there any way to do this with cyprjmgr? It doesn't appear to have flags for making this level of change.

My other alternative is to script the process with python, modifying the source file from the script, making subprocess calls to the cyprjmgr utility, then renaming the resulting output file. This process is a little clunky and requires iterative testing to get right.

Does anyone have a reasonable alternative to accomplished what I've just described?

0 Likes
1 Reply