Am I having the dreaded Net Frame Work PSoC Creator VS Visual Studio bug?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
abajor
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I've been Using a PSoC 5LP for programming a camera trigger timer, strobe control and usb interface, for a high frame rate camera array.

The acquisition part of the code is all in C/C++ on windows using Visual Studios.

As I spent more time working with both PSoC creator 4.4 and Visual Studios, I noticed that PSoC creator would randomly close.

As time progressed it would start taking an extremely long time for PSoC creator to open, and it would always hang on

CyDesigner.Common.Trasport.PPDeviceIO.CyPPDeviceIOPlugin.

It did this when I was prototyping on a ryzen 1700x machine, I then moved to the main acquisition machine (Thread Ripper) and it kept happening on a totally different install. 

It would often require a system reboot to get it to open in a reasonable amount of time.  It got so flakey and intermittent that I thought  perhaps I had damaged my PSoC, and ended up trying 4 separate units.   After searching I found that there's a known compatibility issue with PSoC and Visual Studio using the debugging directly related to .NET Framework?

The only way I can reliably program my PSoC is if I code my acquisition software on the capture computer, and bring a separate Laptop to run PSoC creator, this is really inconvenient since there isn't a lot of extra space in this lab, one computer SHOULD be fine.

Current (sort of) work arounds, for same computer.:

I can KILL the PSoC ProgrammerCOM Module, and it allows me to actually use the IDE; however, I can't program the PSoC.

I can reboot the PC (unacceptable waste of time)

Run a second computer to program the PSoC.

This is really insane to me that two very large IDE's would have a persistent compatibility issue like this.

Is there a way to restart or FIX the programmer while the IDE is running?

Is there a way your IDE DEVS can generate warning in PSoC creator if it detects Visual Studios has been running, and potential stability risks?  Nobody should be losing days of their lives trying to find out this is a known intermittent issue.

Can the DEVS make it so the IDE doesn't hang while trying to negotiate with the programmer, so a person can actually get work done while waiting for the thing to stop having a stroke?  Or maybe even disable some of the Debugging utilities until the coder needs to use them?

I love having access to the hardware constructs on the PSoC 5lp, it is a very powerful little device, but this instability between the two IDE's is probably one of the most frustrating experiences I've dealt with. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @abajor ,

If the issue persists even after shutting down Visual Studio, then this is probably not the only cause. Please try disabling your anti-virus, firewall or end-point protection softwares that may be running in the background. See if this helps.

If you still see the issues, please use the process monitor and share the log file with us for further inspection. For information on how to use it, please refer to this thread: https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Can-someone-tell-me-what-the-hell-Cr...

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

abajor,

Check out this KBA.  It may be related.

Knowledge-Base-Articles/PSoC-Creator-May-Crash-when-Run-Concurrently-with-Visual-Studio 

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

This would be a solution if, simply shutting down Visual Studio solves the problem; however, there appears to be something latent from Visual Studio that prevents PSoC Creator from communicating with my PSoC 5lp's.  A full system reset is required, unless there is a way to purge the debugging data from .NET Framework, which is not something that I have discovered.

This can't be an isolated issue because the problem persists across two separate computers.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @abajor ,

If the issue persists even after shutting down Visual Studio, then this is probably not the only cause. Please try disabling your anti-virus, firewall or end-point protection softwares that may be running in the background. See if this helps.

If you still see the issues, please use the process monitor and share the log file with us for further inspection. For information on how to use it, please refer to this thread: https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-Creator-Designer-Software/Can-someone-tell-me-what-the-hell-Cr...

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes