flashloader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dridir
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello,

using Device configurator and QSPI configurator how could i generate a flashloader for Modbustoolbox of external memory?

does the .c/.h file generated used by the tool or does it generates a .elf file to be downloaded in RAM the case in IAR and MDK-ARM?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @dridir

I apologize for the delay. Please refer to the Programming External Memory section in PSoC 6 MCU Guide to Using Serial Memory Interface which provides the necessary steps to program your external memory. You will need to make the appropriate SFlash settings and add your data into the .cy_xip section.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @dridir ,

We have code examples which allows the read and write into the external flash using the QSPI block as shown below:

AlenAn14_0-1641544363253.png

You can use the example "QSPI Flash Read and Write" to understand how read and write operations are done on external flash.
In case you require to store program/instructions in the external flash using QSPI , then you can use the code example "QSPI XIP" to understand how this is done, where the CM4 CPU uses the QSPI resource in XIP mode to access a function and a string that is programmed into the external memory. You can use the same code in your bootloader application to flash your application firmware into the external flash.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
dridir
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi AlenAN14,

Thank you for your quick reply!

If I have an application linked into flash and qspi. Using IAR, I select the flashloader for the QSPI, which is a binary loaded in RAM in order to download the code into the QSPI without using an application from flash to do this. The application will be loaded in both flash and QSPI when I download the application.

Is it the same case as IAR (using flashloaders)?

If so, my question is how to download the application into the internal flash and QSPI using ModusToolBox in case I use a customized board? and how I can develop my own external flashloader to do that?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @dridir

I apologize for the delay. Please refer to the Programming External Memory section in PSoC 6 MCU Guide to Using Serial Memory Interface which provides the necessary steps to program your external memory. You will need to make the appropriate SFlash settings and add your data into the .cy_xip section.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi @Rakshith ,

Thank you, that is helpful!!

I have an other question about the QSPI_Configurator. There is a field named flashloader path on the GUI. Does it used for flasher generation or only for creating a .c/.h files for the memory? Could I use the QSPI_Configurator Tool to generate flashloaders?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Rakshith

Flashloader path is used for flashloader patching which is currently not supported in PSoC 6 devices - 

Rakshith_0-1644606625015.png

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes