emUSB HID generic example disable uart retargeting disable the HID interface why

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
conradc2380
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi

I have been working on the USB HID Generic code sample available for the psoc 6 on modus toolbox 3 . I am not interested in using the debug uart function setup by the retargeting io function however if this is disabled the HID enumeration also doesn't work. If I re-enable it the HID gets enumerated.

The Question is why would I need to Enable the following piece of code to enable the HID enumeration, I am not using any printf function here . All printf messages in the code have been masked out .

If I Mask out the segment as I did below it does not work , why?

// /* Initialize retarget-io to use the debug UART port */
// result = cy_retarget_io_init(CYBSP_DEBUG_UART_TX, CYBSP_DEBUG_UART_RX, CY_RETARGET_IO_BAUDRATE);
// /* retarget-io init failed. Stop program execution */
// if (result != CY_RSLT_SUCCESS)
// {
// CY_ASSERT(0);
// }

example followed is the following

https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-usb-device-hid-generic

Any input on this will be great .

Regards

C

0 Likes
1 Solution

@RodolfoGL Thanks for the feedback , there is two areas actually that had to be disabled

void USB_X_Log(const char * s) {

void USB_X_Warn(const char * s) {

I disabled every putc () function call , it seemed to solve the problem . Thansk

Ragards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
RodolfoGL
Employee
Employee
250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

That's probably because you are calling printf() without initializing the retarget-io(). Try to comment out the printf() calls.

The retarget-io library basically implements some underneath functions to redirect the STDIO to the UART. Without implementing these underneath functions, you would get a hard fault on printf() calls.

0 Likes

Hi RodolfGL

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the feedback , I agree with you if I was using the printf . You may have misunderstood my previous point.  But in this case i am not using the printf therefore that function should not be required to enable the HID interface on the USB . But yet Without it is the HID does not get setup .

I am trying to find out why the Retargeting function is required to setup HID interface , none of the USB documentation mentions that this is required.

Regards

C

Regards

C

0 Likes

Oh, actually the emUSB itself is using printf() or some other STDIO function.

Let me check internally what's the correct procedure to disable this.

0 Likes

I checked internally.

We are going to add an option to disable the STDIO calls in the USBD in the next release of the emUSB-device library, which will happen in middle of March.

In the meanwhile, you could comment out the printf() call located at emusb-device/export/Config/usbd_config_io.c.

conradc2380
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi Rodolfo,

I first thought this will be the resolution but the problem is worse , even if I mask out the above mentioned printf the HID stops again . if i put it back  the HID  is enumerated .

Now the even worse part is that the pins  CYBSP_DEBUG_UART_TX, CYBSP_DEBUG_UART_RX  used in the default debug uart cannot be changed to a free and available uart . Once i do this everything stops again . Changing this in the cycfg_pins.h file does not work  nor does it when changed in the device configurator. I have forced the  re-define of  the debug IO to the free uart pins but still does not work and the HID does not get enumerated . It insists on being use on P5_0 and P5_1 , and this is a problem as these pins are designated to other purposes on the board .

Any ideas on this ?

regards

C

0 Likes

Ops... there are two more lines to be commented out on udbd_config_io.c:

USB_OS_IncDI();
  _ShowStamp();
  //_puts(s);
  //_puts("\r\n");
  USB_OS_DecRI();
}
0 Likes

@RodolfoGL Thanks for the feedback , there is two areas actually that had to be disabled

void USB_X_Warn(const char * s) {

I disabled every putc () function call , it seemed to solve the problem . Thansk

Ragards

0 Likes