What is the proper way to change the priority for a GPIO Interrupt?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaWa_4506761
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I'm using a PSOC62 cy8c6247bzi_d54. I'm using Modus Toolbox v1.1 and cannot currently upgrade.

I'm trying to sort out an issue where a GPIO interrupt handler is taking a long time to get called on the CM0+ after the interrupt fires or sometimes even appears to be ignored. I don't think it's an issue with a masked interrupt or interrupts beings disabled, though that merits more checking.

I would like to change the interrupt priority for the GPIO from the default. Right now, I'm using gpio_irq_init to set up the interrupt which uses a hard-coded interrupt priority of 3 for the CM0+. gpio_irq_init calls gpio_irq_setup_channel which in turn makes the following actions:

// Sets the default priority

Cy_SysInt_Init (calls NVIC_SetPriority)

gpio_irq_enable

NVIC_EnableIRQ

Rather than duplicate and modify the code and force all GPIOs to use the same interrupt priority, could I safely call NVIC_SetPriority after returning from gpio_irq_init? Or do I need to call NVI_DisableIRQ, then NVIC_SetPriority, and then NVIC_EnableIRQ? Is there anything else I should consider that I haven't already mentioned?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Just call the CMSIS function

void

NVIC_SetPriority (IRQn_Type IRQn, uint32_t priority)

I cant think of a reason why that would be a problem.

It is curious that you want to change the interrupt priorities when things are running.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MaWa_4506761
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

One more possible function call that may be problematic that can happen after NVIC_SetPriority (see cy_sysint.c):

/* Set the new vector only if it was moved to __ramVectors */

if (SCB->VTOR == (uint32_t)&__ramVectors)

{

(void)Cy_SysInt_SetVector(config->intrSrc, userIsr);

}

If this condition is met and the SetVector function is called, does that need to be called again after changing priority?

0 Likes

Hi MaWa_4506761​,

The cy_stc_sysint_t structure of the Cy_SysInt_Init() should be used to assign the interrupt priority of the GPIO interrupt.

/* Prototype of ISR function for port interrupt 0 */

void Interrupt_Handler_Port0 (void);

cy_stc_sysint_t intrCfg =

{

/*.intrSrc =*/ NvicMux7_IRQn,  /* CM0+ interrupt is NVIC #7 */

/*.cm0pSrc =*/ ioss_interrupts_gpio_0_IRQn, /* Source of NVIC #7 is GPIO port 0 interrupt */

/*.intrPriority =*/ 1UL  /* Interrupt priority is 1 */

};

/* Initialize the interrupt with vector at Interrupt_Handler_Port0() */

Cy_SysInt_Init(&intrCfg, &Interrupt_Handler_Port0);

/* Enable the interrupt */

NVIC_EnableIRQ(intrCfg.intrSrc);

If the reason you are using MTB 1.1 is because you need dual core support, then you can evaluate the new MTB 2.2 which supports dual core programming.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

BragadeeshV_41​ I could use that but want to take advantage of the gpio_irq_* libraries.

0 Likes
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Just call the CMSIS function

void

NVIC_SetPriority (IRQn_Type IRQn, uint32_t priority)

I cant think of a reason why that would be a problem.

It is curious that you want to change the interrupt priorities when things are running.

AlanH_86​ I don't want to change the priority while I'm running. I just want it set to certain priority and leave it at that priority *and* I want to take advantage of the gpio_irq_init function.

0 Likes

Got it.

Either use the Cy_SysInt_Init function or call the CMSIS function.