Unable to program CY8CPROTO-062-4343W with detached kitprog3?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 100 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hi all,

I'm using this kit to write simple programs so I can ask questions here for stuff that doesn't work in my custom board. Questions usually have an answer that ask to upload a simple or strip down example of the problem. So I'm using this kit to do that but it is so hard to get this kit to program, it is frustrating. I'm using the kit with a 5VDC power supply connected to J17.1=5VDC and J17.2=GND. Although, I get the same error if I use a USB cable from my laptop to power the kit. The kitprog3 is detached from the kit and connected with a connector to a header I installed in the kitprog3. I use the kitprog3 to program my custom board and it works but the part number is the TQFP version of what the kit has. I keep getting this error (below) when programming the kit now. It seems to have something to do with the reset line. The reset button on the kit works fine and I tested the reset line from J4.3 to pin 100 of the psoc6 module and I get zero ohms. Is the problem something else? what's wrong? The problem is in both bulk and dap mode. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

//------------- DAP mode -------------- FAIL.TXT ------------------
error: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU
type: target

//--------- BULK mode ---------- from modustoolbox 3 console window -------------

Started by GNU MCU Eclipse
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0+dev-4.4.0.2134 (2022-09-08-13:07)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
kitprog3 set_latest_version: C:/Users/Rodrigo/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0/fw-loader 2.40.1241
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter srst delay: 25
adapter srst pulse_width: 25
** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : Using CMSIS-flash algorithms 'CY8C6xxA_SMIF' for bank 'psoc6_smif0_cm0' (footprint 17056 bytes)
Info : CMSIS-flash: ELF path: ../flm/cypress/cat1a/CY8C6xxA_SMIF.FLM
Info : CMSIS-flash: Address range: 0x18000000-0x1FFFFFFF
Info : CMSIS-flash: Program page size: 0x00001000 bytes
Info : CMSIS-flash: Erase sector size: 0x00040000 bytes, unified
Warn : SFlash programming allowed for regions: USER, TOC, KEY
Info : Using CMSIS-DAPv2 interface with VID:PID=0x04b4:0xf155, serial=050A0DF301237400
Info : CMSIS-DAP: SWD supported
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Atomic commands supported
Info : CMSIS-DAP: FW Version = 2.0.0
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface Initialised (SWD)
Info : SWCLK/TCK = 1 SWDIO/TMS = 1 TDI = 0 TDO = 0 nTRST = 0 nRESET = 1
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface ready
Info : KitProg3: FW version: 2.40.1241
Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled
Info : KitProg3: Asynchronous USB transfers enabled
Info : VTarget = 3.316 V
Info : kitprog3: acquiring the device (mode: reset)...
Info : clock speed 2000 kHz
Info : SWD DPIDR 0x6ba02477
Warn : target psoc6.cpu.cm0 examination failed
Warn : target psoc6.cpu.cm4 examination failed
Info : starting gdb server for psoc6.cpu.cm0 on 3333
Info : Listening on port 3333 for gdb connections
Info : starting gdb server for psoc6.cpu.cm4 on 3334
Info : Listening on port 3334 for gdb connections
Error: [psoc6.cpu.cm0] Target not examined, reset NOT asserted!

Info : psoc6.dap: powering down debug domain...

0 Likes
3 Replies
PandaS
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 5 likes given

Hi @Rodo ,

I think your issue is similar to this thread: https://community.infineon.com/t5/PSoC-6/Unable-to-Program-CYPROTO-062-4343W-with-breakout-KitProg3/...

Could you please go through the connection diagram as explained in them and try it out. Let us know if you face any issues with the same.

Warm regards,

Sobhit

0 Likes
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4

I already looked at that but it doesn't apply. I programmed the kit after the kitprog3 was detached before. In fact, it has the previous program right now but any attempt to reprogram fails with the indicated error. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4

The kit seems to be damaged. I got a new kit and works fine. This can be closed.

UPDATE: I saw some damage in the corner of the kit so I assumed that's what was causing the error. But today I was able to try a miniprog4 so I tried to program the presumed damaged kit (CY8CPROTO-062-4343W) with the miniprog4 and it programmed without errors. I don't know why the kitprog3 detached from the kit can not program it. The detached kitprog3 works fine programming my custom board. Maybe someone can suggest a reason?

0 Likes