Unable to Program CYPROTO-062-4343W with breakout KitProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SySa_4665481
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins Welcome! 10 replies posted

Hi,

I have broken off the KitProg3 part from the main CYPROTO-062-4343W.

I have used jumper wires between the pins on J4 (on the KitProg3) to the 5 pins on the main board (P6.6, P6.7, XRES, GND, VTARG), but I was not able to program the PSoC6. I have tried both ModusToolBox 2.1 and Cypress Programmer 2.1, but no success.

Here is the error log from Modus:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-3.0.0.665 (2020-03-20-10:13)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.

adapter speed: 2000 kHz

** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable

cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq

Info : Using CMSIS loader 'CY8C6xxA_SMIF' for bank 'psoc6_smif0_cm0' (footprint 6485 bytes)

Warn : SFlash programming allowed for regions: USER, TOC, KEY

Info : CMSIS-DAP: SWD  Supported

Info : CMSIS-DAP: FW Version = 2.0.0

Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface Initialised (SWD)

Info : SWCLK/TCK = 1 SWDIO/TMS = 1 TDI = 0 TDO = 0 nTRST = 0 nRESET = 1

Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface ready

Info : KitProg3: FW version: 1.20.652

Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled

Info : VTarget = 3.298 V

Info : kitprog3: acquiring PSoC device...

Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire PSoC device

Info : clock speed 2000 kHz

Error: DAP 'psoc6.cpu' initialization failed (check connection, power, etc.)

** OpenOCD init failed **

shutdown command invoked

** Program operation failed **

srst_only separate srst_gates_jtag srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

And here is the error log from Cypress Programmer:

Info : [CyBridge] Start API initialization

Info : [CyBridge] Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-09140C1C02179400

Info : [CyBridge] Hardware initialization complete (824 ms)

Info : Selected Device: CY8CPROTO-062-4343W-09140C1C02179400

Info : ** Probe-config: kit_CY8CPROTO-062-4343W.cfg

Info : Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-2.2.0.249 (2019-09-10-10:57)

Info : Licensed under GNU GPL v2

Info : For bug reports, read

Info : http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : debug_level: 2

Info : C:/Program Files (x86)/Cypress/Cypress Programmer

Info : ./openocd

Info : C:/Program Files (x86)/Cypress/Cypress Programmer/BT

Info : 09140C1C02179400

Info : 1:1

Info : 0

Info : swd

Info : soft

Info : off

Info : 0

Info : adapter speed: 1500 kHz

Info : serial:    09140C1C02179400

Info : transport: swd

Info : rst type:  soft

Info : efuse:     off

Info : sflash restrict: 0

Info : adapter speed: 1000 kHz

Info : ** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable

Info : cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq

Info : cortex_m reset_config vectreset

Info : none separate

Info : SFlash programming disallowed, see 'sflash_restrictions' command

Info : init_target

Info : tcl server disabled

Info : Listening on port 4445 for telnet connections

Info : VTarget = 3.297 V

Info : clock speed 1000 kHz

Error: Failed to connect to the target device

Please advise, thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Syafii,

Not all is lost with the two kits.  You just need to make the proper connections between the KitProg3 and the main target board.

I reviewed the schematics and layout of the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W board and found what I think are some discrepancies.

Here's a snip of the block diagram how the KitProg3 connects to the target PSoC6 board for programming and debugging:

pastedImage_3.png

Here's the KitProg3 board 5-pin interface connector J4:

Officially there is no 5-pin connector on the PSoC6 target board.  The connection should be made before resistors R49, R48 and R47.

pastedImage_5.png

The next issue I see is the issue you are having with no target board power.

The VTARG connection of the KitProg3 J4 connector is not sourced from the KitProg3 board.  It is sourced from the PSoC6 target board.

If you connect to the target PsoC6 board with a powered USB cable to J10 as Rakshith M B recommended the VTARG gets powered with 3.3V as needed and all is well.  This is because J10 takes in the 5V from the USB and regulates it down to 3.3V needed for the PS0C6 to become VTARG.

The VTARG on the KitProg3 is ONLY a voltage monitor pin used for the PSoC Programmer and for the display during programming such as:

Info : VTarget = 0.033 V

There is no 5V to 3.3V regulator on the KitProg3 board.

DO NOT connect VBUS or P5LP_VDD from the KitProg3 to VTARG!  VBUS and P5LP_VDD are 5V and will destroy the PSoC6. (Max voltage = 3.6V)

It is best to find another source of 3.3V to supply the PSoC6 target board.  A powered USB connection to J10 is a good choice.

Here's a snip of the circuit that provides the source power from either the USB J10 or from the KitProg3 board:

The VBUS connection to the KitProg3 board is a wired connection that gets broken when breaking off the KitProg3 section from the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W.  Sadly, there is NO header connector interface.   You can solder a wire from J4 pin 1 to one side of R89.  this should reestablish the power source from the KitProg3.

Alternate suggestions:

• Rakshith M B's suggestion about connecting a powered USB to J10.  With the KitProg3 detached for your project, you eventually needed a 3.3V power source anyway.
  • Using a MiniProg3 or MiniProg4 on J14. This method is more universal since you can populate the 10-pin J14 and program/debug when needed.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi SySa_4665481​,

This error generally shows up when there is an issue with the connection to the PSoC target device. The same error also pops up when I try to program the device with the reset button pressed -

pastedImage_0.png

Can you please confirm the SWD connections again? Are they connected to anything else?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi RakshithM_16​,

Thank you for the reply.

The setup is as shown.

cyp_breakout.jpg

Strangely, when I probed VTARG, there is no voltage there.

This is the error message:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-3.0.0.665 (2020-03-20-10:13)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.

adapter speed: 2000 kHz

** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable

Info : Using CMSIS loader 'CY8C6xxA_SMIF' for bank 'psoc6_smif0_cm0' (footprint 6485 bytes)

Warn : SFlash programming allowed for regions: USER, TOC, KEY

Info : KitProg3: FW version: 1.20.652

Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled

Info : clock speed 2000 kHz

** OpenOCD init failed **

shutdown command invoked

** Program operation failed **

srst_only separate srst_gates_jtag srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

If I were to power the main board separately, I got the error messages as shared in previous thread.

0 Likes

Hi SySa_4665481,

Strangely, when I probed VTARG, there is no voltage there.

This should not be the case. I have a CYPROTO-062-4343W kit with me. I checked the voltage at VTARG and it is 3.3 V for me.

Can you disconnect the KitProg, connect the micro USB cable to micro USB connector (J10) on the Kit, and measure the voltage at different power lines?

Also, can you measure the voltage VTARG of KitProg without the connection?

Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

hi RakshithM_16​,

Powering Kit via J10:

VTARG = 3.3V

KitProg without connection:

VTARG = 0V

Have you tried breaking the KitProg off the CYPROTO-062-4343W kit? Any voltage on VTARG? I have tried it on 2 boards already...

0 Likes

Hi SySa_4665481​,

I apologize for the delay as I missed your response. Can you please let me know if you are still facing the issue?

I did try measuring the voltage in a few other KitProg3 modules that I have and it was not 0.

If in case you are still facing the issue, please let me know. I will snap off the KitProg from my Kit and try to recreate the issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi RakshithM_16​,

Yes, I am still facing the issue.

Syafii

0 Likes

Syafii,

In you later post I noticed:

It would appear the target board is unpowered.

Before you broke apart the boards in the kit, were you able to get the KitProg3 to program the target board?

Len

Len
0 Likes

Hi LePo_1062026​,

No, I could not program the target board after the broke them apart.

Yes the target board is unpowered after I broke them apart.

I also tried powering the target board via J10 as suggested by Rakshith, but no success.

It's a bit of a disappointment, I had lost 2 good boards because of this.

Best Regards,

Syafii

0 Likes

Hi SySa_4665481​,

I snapped off the KitProg3 board and connected the SWD lines using jumper wires. As you have mentioned I was not able to program the device. But when I powered the device using micro-USB port (J10) I was able to connect and program the device.

Is there any firmware running on the device? If so, can you please confirm if the PSoC 6 is still functional?

Can you please share a screenshot of Cypress Programmer when you are trying to connect to the device? The KitProg3 should be monitoring the target voltage and that can be observed using the Cypress Programmer tool.

Can you also try connecting the VTARG pin of PSoC 6 to 3rd pin of J7 header (J7.3) of KitProg3 module and let me know if this helps?

pastedImage_0.png

Meanwhile, I will try the same on a different device to ensure that it is consistent.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Syafii,

Not all is lost with the two kits.  You just need to make the proper connections between the KitProg3 and the main target board.

I reviewed the schematics and layout of the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W board and found what I think are some discrepancies.

Here's a snip of the block diagram how the KitProg3 connects to the target PSoC6 board for programming and debugging:

pastedImage_3.png

Here's the KitProg3 board 5-pin interface connector J4:

Officially there is no 5-pin connector on the PSoC6 target board.  The connection should be made before resistors R49, R48 and R47.

pastedImage_5.png

The next issue I see is the issue you are having with no target board power.

The VTARG connection of the KitProg3 J4 connector is not sourced from the KitProg3 board.  It is sourced from the PSoC6 target board.

If you connect to the target PsoC6 board with a powered USB cable to J10 as Rakshith M B recommended the VTARG gets powered with 3.3V as needed and all is well.  This is because J10 takes in the 5V from the USB and regulates it down to 3.3V needed for the PS0C6 to become VTARG.

The VTARG on the KitProg3 is ONLY a voltage monitor pin used for the PSoC Programmer and for the display during programming such as:

There is no 5V to 3.3V regulator on the KitProg3 board.

DO NOT connect VBUS or P5LP_VDD from the KitProg3 to VTARG!  VBUS and P5LP_VDD are 5V and will destroy the PSoC6. (Max voltage = 3.6V)

It is best to find another source of 3.3V to supply the PSoC6 target board.  A powered USB connection to J10 is a good choice.

Here's a snip of the circuit that provides the source power from either the USB J10 or from the KitProg3 board:

The VBUS connection to the KitProg3 board is a wired connection that gets broken when breaking off the KitProg3 section from the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W.  Sadly, there is NO header connector interface.   You can solder a wire from J4 pin 1 to one side of R89.  this should reestablish the power source from the KitProg3.

Alternate suggestions:

• Rakshith M B's suggestion about connecting a powered USB to J10.  With the KitProg3 detached for your project, you eventually needed a 3.3V power source anyway.
  • Using a MiniProg3 or MiniProg4 on J14. This method is more universal since you can populate the 10-pin J14 and program/debug when needed.

Len

Len

Hi Len,

Sorry for the delay in my response. You are right. I got in touch with the internal team regarding this when I was not able to detect voltage on the VTARG pin. Like you have rightly mentioned, VBUS connection, which powers the PSoC 6 device gets disconnected once we break KP3.

However, this is not mentioned in the Kit Guide as shown -

pastedImage_0.png

I have raised an internal request to add the information to the Kit Guide so that the users are aware of this.

Thanks for the help!

Best Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes