USB Host support

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeWi_2678131
Level 1
Level 1

Is the PSoC6 ever going to have USB Host support?

0 Likes
1 Solution
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hello!

I am sorry that our communication on this has not been good. The team that we hoped would work on the development of a USB Host has been repeatedly moved onto other priorities. What has become clear is that we (Cypress) should not be developing our own stack - the scope for USB Host is just too large. We have decided to work with a software partner because we are convinced that it will) be the quickest route to a solution for our customers, b) provide the full set of drivers for a wide range of peripherals and c) be a high-quality, fully-supported product. We are working with partners right now to scope the effort, timeline and support options. We hope to have software available around the middle of this year bu that is not a committed schedule at this time.

Regards, Mark Saunders.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Sean,

PsoC 6 has USB Host support.

Please refer to the section 28 Universal Serial Bus (USB) Host of the PSoC 6 Architecture TRM for more details on this: https://www.cypress.com/file/420571/download

The USB subsystem in PSoC 6 MCUs can be configured to function as a USB host. The USB host in the PSoC 6 MCU supports both full-speed (12 Mbps) and low-speed (1.5 Mbps) devices and is designed to be complaint with the USB Specification Revision 2.0

The section also mentions the settings required to configure PSoC 6 as USB Host.

Best Regards

Ekta

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I realize the PsoC 6 has the hardware capability, but there does not appear to be any driver support or examples available for host mode. The last time this question was asked, the response was 'later in 2018': USB Host / Device stack implementation supporting connecting to a HID device using PSOC6

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hello!

I am sorry that our communication on this has not been good. The team that we hoped would work on the development of a USB Host has been repeatedly moved onto other priorities. What has become clear is that we (Cypress) should not be developing our own stack - the scope for USB Host is just too large. We have decided to work with a software partner because we are convinced that it will) be the quickest route to a solution for our customers, b) provide the full set of drivers for a wide range of peripherals and c) be a high-quality, fully-supported product. We are working with partners right now to scope the effort, timeline and support options. We hope to have software available around the middle of this year bu that is not a committed schedule at this time.

Regards, Mark Saunders.

0 Likes

Dear Mark:

Any update about PSOC 6 USB host driver status ?

0 Likes
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Mark, Opportunities are slipping by. USB OTG is a feature to help our cinderellas blossom. Any update?

0 Likes

also curious. did host software support ever happen?

0 Likes

The most recent thread I can find asking about it is from nearly a year ago:
https://community.infineon.com/t5/PSoC-6/USB-otg/m-p/87460

Can't find any information more recent than that.

Can only speculate as to why.  Maybe a problem in the silicon is preventing a release of any API support or something?

0 Likes
amdac_287941
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

Hi,

Any updates on when a USB host is coming its 2023 now!! I think its  a very needed feature.

Cheers!

0 Likes

After over 3 years of waiting for literally anything to materialize I'm starting to think it's just never going to happen.

0 Likes
RodolfoGL
Employee
Employee
250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

We have partnered with Segger to deliver the USB host capability with PSoC 6 (emUSB). You can find an example of the Host CDC Interface here:

https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-usb-host-cdc-echo

More examples to come. You can also refer to the Segger emUSB documentation to see other examples of USB Host.