PSoC6 board not recognized by computer after failed firmware update

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ArCh_4795556
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm a college student using a Cypress CY8CPROTO-063-BLE (PSoC6) board for a course, this is my first time working with this board. I was trying to use the board for the first time to run a Hello World example, and opened PSoC6 creator inside my Windows 10 VM, running on my MacBook.

PSoC6 creator said it expected a firmware of 1.01, while the board firmware was 1.05, and said to update through PSoC6 Programmer. Thus, I opened the programmer (while keeping the creator open, which I later learned I'm not supposed to do), and tried to updating firmware. The first few times I tried update, the VM software would prompt me as to whether I want to connect the board & bootloader to Mac or Windows, which would cause an error before the upgrade began, with a pop up saying the boot loader was not recognized. I then marked the prompt to always connect to Widows without asking, and tried updating again. This time, the update began successfully, with a green bar appearing, but then a pop up said the boottloader was not recognized again, and the update failed again.

After this, the board was no longer recognized by the programmer, and no longer appears in device manager. I've tried unplugging a number of times, restarting Windows on the VM, and even holding the reset button for ten seconds as was recommended somewhere. The device simply doesn't appear in device manager anymore (it appeared under USB as COM3 before the failed update). MacOS also doesn't recognize the device. Note that the orange status LED2 by the microUSB is still flashing quickly, as it was before the update failed, and the orange power LED1 is still solid. A green LED was on before and after the update failed, including when I was trying to fix this and tried to reset it, but right now while I am writing this post, that LED is now off for some reason.

I'm honestly very lost at the moment. I'm in touch with my professor regarding acquiring a new PSoC6 board, but if anyone knows how I could fix this, it would be extremely appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi Aram,

Could you once check if the device appears as an unsupported device in the device manager. If the device appears as an unsupported device then follow the steps below to manually bind driver software of KitProg from the PSoC Programmer installation directory.

1.     Right click on 'KitProg' and select 'Update Driver Software'.

2.     Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

3.     Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

4.     Click 'Next'.

5.     Click on 'Have Disk'. Please ensure that you do not miss this step.

6.     Browse and select the following file - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers\KitProg2\KitProg2UART.inf

7.     After this, try 'Upgrade Firmware' in PSoC Programmer under 'Utilities' tab.

In care the device does not appear there is a possibility that it would not be possible to recover the device

Best Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

1. Did you use Cypress Programmer? If no, please download the Cypress programmer from the link below and try updating with it once.

https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-programming-solutions

2. Close all the other programs except Cypress programmer while upgrading.

3. Please attach the screenshot of the Cypress programmer GUI once you update the board using it. For example, it will look like below:

cy_prog.PNG

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh,

Thank you for your reply. I already tried using Cypress Programmer, this is what caused the problem. I tried updating the firmware but the update failed halfway through, either because the connection with the device in my VM broke, or because I had not closed PSoC Creator before using the the Programmer. At this time, nothing happens when I plug in the board; it does not appear in device manager, let alone the Programmer.

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hi,

Apart from what mentioned by Ganesh, can you let us know that when you say the device is not recognized by the MacOS how is it appearing, is it appearing as an unrecognized device or is it not recognized at all by the MacOS.

In case it is appearing as an unrecognized device there is a possibility that the device driver is corrupted and there is a need to reinstall the driver.

Also, could you let us know the approximate frequency at which the LED is blinking?

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hi Ekta,

Thank you for your reply. Currently, the device is not recognized by my Mac at all. I am now using a PC, and the device is not recognized at all on the PC either. Not even as an unrecognized device, at least as far as I can see.

The amber POWER LED 1 is stable, the amber STATUS LED 2 is blinking very rapidly (10+ times a second), the green LED 4 is blinking at about once a second. After a while, the Green LED turns off.

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello ArCh_4795556

Can you please try the following and see if the device appears on the PC/Mac:

1. Go the PSoC Programmer, press the SW3 to see if the device appears on the Programmer.

(Repeat step 1 again if nothing happens)

2. In case the device appears, go to the utilities tab and click on upgrade firmware.

This is because there might be a possibility that the kit is stuck in the bootloader mode. For more information on switching between the modes, you can refer to the Kitprog2 user guide (section 1.1 page 7).

Before trying this  please ensure that all the jumpers that come with the kit are in place.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hi Ekta,

I followed your steps with no success in seeing the device unfortunately. However, I'm not sure what jumpers you are referring to? I received this board in a box with a good amount of other equipment, so I don't know if anything else came explicitly with this kit. By jumpers do you mean some sort of wires, and if so what are they supposed to be connected to?

- Aram

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hi Aram,

Could you once check if the device appears as an unsupported device in the device manager. If the device appears as an unsupported device then follow the steps below to manually bind driver software of KitProg from the PSoC Programmer installation directory.

1.     Right click on 'KitProg' and select 'Update Driver Software'.

2.     Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

3.     Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

4.     Click 'Next'.

5.     Click on 'Have Disk'. Please ensure that you do not miss this step.

6.     Browse and select the following file - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers\KitProg2\KitProg2UART.inf

7.     After this, try 'Upgrade Firmware' in PSoC Programmer under 'Utilities' tab.

In care the device does not appear there is a possibility that it would not be possible to recover the device

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes