PSOC6: CY8C6247BZI-D54 Pin out

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WiWi_4702256
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins Welcome! 5 solutions authored

I need to be absolutely certain of the following: My hardware engineer asked me to verify:

P10_0 can be configured A to D

P11_2 thru P11_6 can be configured to SDIO bus on MCU

P12_0 thru P12_3 can be configured to SDIO bus on MCU

P13_0 thru P13_2 can be configured to SPI bus on MCU

P4_0 thru P4_1 can be configured to I2C on MCU

I cannot find the SDIO in reference manual, datasheet, and trouble understanding 002-18449_002-18449_Alternate_Functions.xlsx and 002-23185-CY8C62x8_CY8C62xA_Pin_Functions_1_1.xlsx

Having trouble making certain without a doubt. Please direct me to documentation that will satisfy and prove to me that the above will work for his design.

Thank you.

William

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi WiWi_4702256​,

The device CY8C6247BZI-D54 does not have an SDHC block which is why you are unable to find the information in the datasheet. Can you please let me know if CY8C62X8 and CY8C62XA devices might suit your application? You can refer to the datasheet of these devices for further information.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi WiWi_4702256​,

The device CY8C6247BZI-D54 does not have an SDHC block which is why you are unable to find the information in the datasheet. Can you please let me know if CY8C62X8 and CY8C62XA devices might suit your application? You can refer to the datasheet of these devices for further information.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

RakshithM_16,

Thanks for the verification that SDHC is in fact the SDIO.

The schematic for CY8C6247BZI-D54 that came with the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit shows an SDIO interface.

CY8CKITwCY8C6247.gif

schematic4kit.gif

and the pinouts show two SDHC blocks SDHC[0] and SDHC[1] even though the datasheet for CY8C6247BZI-D54 does not contain “SDHC” like the CY8C6248 and CY8C624A datasheets that you provided do. It appears the WiFi is driven by the SDIO. I am confused now.

CY8C6247sdhc[0].gif

suggestedpinout.gif

Thanks,

William

0 Likes

Hi William,

The schematic for CY8C6247BZI-D54 that came with the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit shows an SDIO interface.

It appears the WiFi is driven by the SDIO. I am confused now.

Both of these observations are correct. In CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT the SDIO Host Controller is implemented using UDBs and it does not have dedicated SDHC blocks.

I think these two threads will help clear the confusion:

Re: Supported chips

CY8C6247 SDIO documentation confusion

Hope it helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Ok Rakshith,

I see. Thanks for clearing this up for me. What can I study to understand UDB's?

Better yet... What would be your recommendation in my case?

Continue with CY8C6247BZI-D54 using UDB's or step up to CY8C6248 or CY8C624A and use SDHC?

Awesome Stuff!!!

William

0 Likes

Regarding your first question -

What can I study to understand UDB's?

You can refer to this document to know about UDBs - Designing PSoC Creator Components with UDB Datapaths

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Rakshith

My gut is telling me to recommend to Project Management and to Hardware lead to make the step up now since the board has not been manufactured yet. I am thinking along the lines of scalability and future enhancements and capabilities for their device...

That will impact cost and schedule so I am looking to you, if you can, to provide me with justification to do that now instead of wishing we had done so later.

Sincerely,

William

0 Likes

Hi William,

I would recommend you to go with the newer CY8C62X8 and CY8C62XA devices for the following reasons:

1. Learning about UDBs and implementing SDHC from scratch is not an easy task and it will add significant overhead to the project.
  2. Most newer devices do not support UDBs. Even though UDBs are great to learn about, for developing a product it is easier to use the fixed functionality blocks.
  3. If you go with dedicated SDHC blocks you have the SDHC/SDIO HAL and SDHC PDL drivers that you can use directly.
  4. It is best to use UDBs only if it is absolutely necessary. If you require UDBs in your application then you will have to use PSoC creator as ModusToolbox does not support UDB programming. As you require SDHC for the WiFi interface, I am guessing you would need the WiFi libraries too and these are not available in PSoC creator.
  5. Porting of the projects (in case you decide to upgrade the device in the future) will also be a tedious task.

As your design is not in the production stage yet I think it would be better to go with CY8C62X8 and CY8C62XA devices. Do let me know if you have any thoughts/concerns.

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Rakshith,

Thank you for the in depth detailed reasons to go ahead with the CY8C62X8 and CY8C62XA devices that I can present to my customer. Please understand the delay in responding. I was busy preparing for Hurricane Laura. We (Texas) got spared and our neighbors whom we adopted and supported during Katrina were spared carnage by a swift moving system.

Thanks,

Williams

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

WiWi,

I don't know if these links will be of any help on PSoC6 and SDHC topic:

PSoC6 SDHC DDR Support

EMFile/SD card support for PSoC6

emFile component for PSoC 6

Re: CY8CPROTO-062-4343w SD card

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hey Len,

How goes it. I appreciate the links. I have no clue what the customer is going to decide and its very possible I may have to use them whether or not they decide to stick with the CY8C6247 device or make the recommended change to CY8C62X8 or CY8C62XA device.

As I told Rakshith please understand the delay in responding. I was busy preparing for Hurricane Laura. We (Texas) got spared and our neighbors whom we adopted and supported during Katrina were spared carnage by a swift moving system.

Thanks!

William

0 Likes

Hi William,

Firstly, hope you all are safe.

Glad the explanation helped. If you face any further issues once the device has been finalized, please feel free to create a new thread and we will try to help you out.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B