PSOC 63 BLE as an Observer along with Central/Peripheral

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hello team --

If I have a PSOC 63 BLE connected to another PSOC 63 BLE, one as central and the other as peripheral, and they are communicating with the fastest connection interval (7.5ms), can I also set up each side to be an observer looking for "pings" from a remote acting as a broadcaster?  What would the timing look like between Connection Intervals regarding how the 3 advertising channels will be scanned.

Please let me know if this is possible and what the timing looks like on the radio.

Regards,

Corey

0 Likes
3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Corey,

If I have a PSOC 63 BLE connected to another PSOC 63 BLE, one as central and the other as peripheral, and they are communicating with the fastest connection interval (7.5ms), can I also set up each side to be an observer looking for "pings" from a remote acting as a broadcaster?

Yes. It is possible. PSoC 6 BLE supports 4 simultaneous BLE connections. They can be any one of the following:

1. Central

2. Peripheral

3. Observer

4. Broadcaster

The 4 simultaneous states can be possible through 4 LL states as shown below:

multiple_role.PNG

What would the timing look like between Connection Intervals regarding how the 3 advertising channels will be scanned.

Since the 4 LLs run parallely, the connection interval and advertisement interval will also run parallel and remain unaffected.

Please note that In PSoC Creator/Modus BLE configurator tab you have to select "Maximum number of BLE connections = 2" and select those two roles required.

no_of_conn.PNG

Please refer PSoC 6 MCU - Firmware Design for BLE Applications application note  Multi-Master-Single-Slave code examples for firmware reference.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce215118-ble-multi-master-single-slave-psoc-6-mc...

https://www.cypress.com/file/446566/download

Please reply if you need more clarification.

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

0 Likes

Does the observer role cycle through the 3 ADV channels or does that have to be set manually?

Is there a diagram showing how the Central role and the observer role share radio time?

0 Likes

Hi,

Does the observer role cycle through the 3 ADV channels or does that have to be set manually?

The Central/observer by default scans the 3 advertisement channels. It does not need any setting.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes