Announcements

Help us improve the Power & Sensing Selection Guide. Share feedback

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JHalmen
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I have the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W board. I broke all the capturable components and reconnected the Kitprog and microphone. First, I noticed that the board was no longer being powered from the USB via Kitprog. So I powered the board from another USB, which seemed to work. But I could not program the board. It fails at the last step, it seems:

Info: vTarget = 3.319 V
Info: kitprog3: Getting device (mode: reset) ...
Error: kitprog3: unable to acquire device

Error:
Error while connecting DP: Unable to read IDR Error: Error while connecting DP: Unable to read IDR
Error: Error while connecting to DP: Unable to read IDR Error: DAP 'psoc6.cpu' initialization failed (check if connection, power, transfer, DAP is enabled, etc.) ** Failed to initialize OpenOCD ** Shutdown command called ** Program operation failed ** srst_on

ly split srst_gates_jtag srst_open_deassert_srst
Error: Error connecting to DP: Unable to read IDR
Error: Error connecting to DP: Unable to read IDR Error: Error connecting to DP: Unable to read IDR
Error: Error connecting to DP: Unable to read IDR
DP
Error: Error connecting DP: IDR cannot be read
Error: Error connecting DP: IDR cannot be read Error: Error connecting DP: IDR cannot be read
Error: Error connecting DP: IDR cannot be read Error: Error connecting DP: IDR cannot be read Error:
Error conne Message: psoc6.dap: Powering down debug domain... cting DP: Unable to read IDR Error: [psoc6.cpu.cm0] DP initialization failed Error: Error connecting DP: Unable to read IDR Error: Error connecting DP: Unable to read IDR WARNING
Error: Cannot power off debug domain

What's going on here?

smartconx_target@Q!w2e3r4t5y6u7i8o9p0||/t5/PSoC-6/%E8%BF%98%E6%9C%89%E4%B8%80%E4%B8%AA%E8%AF%9D%E9%A2%98-kitprog3-%E6%B2%A1%E8%83%BD%E8%8E%B7%E5%BE%97%E8%AE%BE%E5%A4%87/td-p/634899

0 Likes
1 Solution

@JHalmen ,

It appears you are correct in that just connecting the 5-pin SWD interface between the boards is not enough.   It appears from the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W schematic that the VBUS from the KitPRog3 board is also severed when the board is broken off.   This is the source of power to the main board before the break.  The VTARG (which is sourced from the KitProg on the CY8CKIT-059 board) is  power input to the KitProg3 on this HW board.  Reconnecting the 5-pin header between the boards doesn't address the power through the VBUS connection that is now severed.

There are three methods that can use this 5-pin approach I suggested to program the target main board.

1. Use the main board's USB connector to be the source for VBUS for the target board.  This is the quickest method to get the 3.3V needed to power the target board without additional soldering.
  2. Wire either 3.3V to J17 pin 3 or 5.0V to J17 pin 1.  J17 pin 2 needs to be the GND common connection.  J17 on the target (main) board.
  3. Wire J17 pin 1 (VBUS) to  J7 pin 1 and J17 pin 2 (GND) to J7 pin 2.  J7 is on the KitProg3 board.
Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

@JHalmen ,

Yes.  When you broke off the KitProg3 from the main board at the perforations you severed the connections of the 5-pin SWD programming/debugging connection.

See the RED boxes in the PCB layout bottom view below:

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1699099516933.png

However, there appears to be a simple way to regain the 5-pin SWD connection between the KitProg3 and main boards.

Look at the pins shown below with the RED boxes.   These are the same pins and ports used on the KitProg3 and the main board for the 5-pin SWD.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1699099668571.png

You should be able to use a in-line 5-pin header and receptacle to make the SWD connection again.

Here is a section of the schematic for your proto board.

Len_CONSULTRON_2-1699099976265.png

Although, I haven't broken off the boards off the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W, I done something similar to the CY8CKIT-059 board.   I would solder a 5-pin header onto the KitProg board I broke off and place the header pins in the respective pins on the target board holes without a receptacle.   By  successful programming, this proves the electrical connection.  Then I solder the receptacle to those target board holes.

One would wish Infineon would have an application note to describe how to reconnect the SWD interface once the board is broken off.

Just found this link to a similar issue:  Unable-to-Program-CYPROTO-062-4343W-with-breakout-KitProg3 

Another note:   There are additional circuits that get cut when the KitProg3 board is broken off of the main (target) board.  These circuits connect the UART and I2C interfaces between the KitProg3 and the main board.   Using the method shown above DOES NOT fix these interfaces.   That's a discussion for another time.

Len
0 Likes

I did reconnect the Kitprog with the 5 pins. But the 5 pins were not enough. The board didn't get power from them.

MMy error listing was from an almost successful compilation and programming of the board. 3.3V was measured, so my alternative powering of the board worked.

0 Likes

@JHalmen ,

It appears you are correct in that just connecting the 5-pin SWD interface between the boards is not enough.   It appears from the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W schematic that the VBUS from the KitPRog3 board is also severed when the board is broken off.   This is the source of power to the main board before the break.  The VTARG (which is sourced from the KitProg on the CY8CKIT-059 board) is  power input to the KitProg3 on this HW board.  Reconnecting the 5-pin header between the boards doesn't address the power through the VBUS connection that is now severed.

There are three methods that can use this 5-pin approach I suggested to program the target main board.

1. Use the main board's USB connector to be the source for VBUS for the target board.  This is the quickest method to get the 3.3V needed to power the target board without additional soldering.
  2. Wire either 3.3V to J17 pin 3 or 5.0V to J17 pin 1.  J17 pin 2 needs to be the GND common connection.  J17 on the target (main) board.
  3. Wire J17 pin 1 (VBUS) to  J7 pin 1 and J17 pin 2 (GND) to J7 pin 2.  J7 is on the KitProg3 board.
Len
0 Likes
JHalmen
Level 1
Level 1

And I used method 1. But I get the error:

"Error connecting DP: cannot read IDR"

0 Likes

@JHalmen ,

I'm at a loss.   I assume that Infineon might be able to provide better info about the error and what is 'missing'.

Len
0 Likes
JHalmen
Level 1
Level 1

I connected the J17 5V pin to the J7 VBUS and that powered up the board, so I didn't need the extra USB at J10. But same result. The actual programming fails at "Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire the device".
Meanwhile the serial terminal keeps printing garbage: "ÿÿÿÿïÿÿÿïàÿÿàÿïÿßïï¿ÿ¿ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÞïÿÿïÿÿÿïÿïÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿàïïÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀÿÿïïÿÿïïïþïàÿÿÿïïïïÿïïÿÿ€ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿïïÿÿ?ÿÿÿÿïÿÿÿÿßÿàïàÿÿÿïÿÀÀ€ßÿÿÿÿïï".

0 Likes

The "Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire the device"." is the elephant in the room.

The serial terminal output is a result of the last note in my first post.  The UART and I2C signal lines are severed with breaking the KitPRog3 board off.  Therefore the Rx signal at the KitProg3 is floating.

Len
0 Likes
JHalmen
Level 1
Level 1

So I need to connect J6 and J7, too, to the main board?

JHalmen_0-1699121357819.png

0 Likes

I did connect J6 and J7. It stopped the garbage output. But it hsd no effect on the programming. I still get same errors.

The "Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire the device"." is the elephant in the room.

True. The same question has been asked before, without a solution.

0 Likes

@JHalmen ,

As I said before, Infineon would be the better source to tell us with the error means.

Len
0 Likes