More than 64 bytes per USB transfer fails

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiBu_1198441
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First question asked

A few years ago I was able to get a PSoC 5 to transfer 512 bytes per USB frame using the CDC interface. Now I am trying to the same think with the PSoC 62 in Modus toolbox 1.1. I can transfer 64 bytes without any problems, but 128 bytes fails to transfer any data. I've done into the USB end point descriptor and increased both the IN and OUT endpoints from 64 bytes to 128 and 256. This doesn't have any effect. I can open the CDC device on the Windows side, but no data is being transferred. Has anyone else been able to get this to work?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The USBFS hardware block in PSoC 6 is limited to 64 bytes when the endpoint is configured as BULK.

PSoC 5LP has the same limitation, so perhaps what happened was that your host requests multiple packets of 64 bytes in a single frame.

Have you tried to use the exact same driver and host? It should work with PSoC 6 as well, though you will be sending chucks of 64 bytes in either case.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi,

In the "USBCommDevice" named Code Example available in Modus toolbox 1.1 for PSoC62 implementing USB CDC, just change this line of code:

Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_PutData(USBUART_COM_PORT, (uint8_t *)msg, strlen(msg),&USBUART_cdcContext);

to

Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_PutString(USBUART_COM_PORT, msg, 1000,&USBUART_cdcContext);

inside function  "PrintMessage(const char msg[])" definition

I did so and was able to send strings of length greater than 64 bytes.

Because that is the way you were able to send string of length greater than 64 bytes for PSoC5LP earlier as stated in this Forum thread too:

PSoC5LP - How to send longer lines than USB CDC maximum packet size

Full-Speed capable devices support a maximum packet size of 64-bytes for Bulk endpoint..

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

Thank you for your response. In my application I'm not transmitting strings. The syntax for put_string is: cy_en_usb_dev_status_t

Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_PutString(uint32_t port, char_t const *string, int32_t timeout,                                                 cy_stc_usb_dev_cdc_context_t *context)

The function is looking for a NULL terminated string, which I don't have. I did another experiment (albeit transmitting strings), where I transmit the length of the string, followed by a string that makes up that length. Below is the result.

020:AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

021:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

022:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

023:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

024:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

025:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

026:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

027:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

028:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

029:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

030:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

031:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

032:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

033:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

034:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

035:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

036:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

037:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

038:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

039:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

040:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

041:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

042:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

043:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

044:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

045:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

046:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

047:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

048:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

049:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

050:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

051:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

052:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

053:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

054:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

055:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

056:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

057:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

058:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

059:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

060:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

061:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

062:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

063:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It never transmits another USB packet. This appears to be a bug in either the silicon or the PDL code.

0 Likes

The USBFS hardware block in PSoC 6 is limited to 64 bytes when the endpoint is configured as BULK.

PSoC 5LP has the same limitation, so perhaps what happened was that your host requests multiple packets of 64 bytes in a single frame.

Have you tried to use the exact same driver and host? It should work with PSoC 6 as well, though you will be sending chucks of 64 bytes in either case.

0 Likes

I just used the Windows 10 driver. I created a new USBCommDevice example app, then I went in and modified the IN end point to 256 bytes and the OUT end point to 128 bytes. If I set both end points to 256 bytes the device fails to enumerate.

in_endpoint.png

I was then able to transmit up to 128 bytes at a time. Using Wireshark, I monitored the USB bus and I see the following packets transferred:

usb_xfer.jpg.png

Then I start to see malformed packets. For some reason, my other application that transferred binary data, can't transfer more than 64 bytes per call to Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_PutData.

0 Likes

Again, the hardware does not support sending/receiving more than 64 bytes in BULK mode. This might explain why you often get the malformed packets. The enumeration might well works, but not the actual transfer in the data endpoints will fail, eventually.

0 Likes

Gotcha. I understand. I have it working by doing the following: void SendUSBDataIn64ByteChunks(const int data[], int len) {     if (Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_IsReady(USBUART_COM_PORT, &USBUART_cdcContext))     { for (int i = 0; i < len; i += 64) { Cy_GPIO_Set(USB64_PORT, USB64_PIN); while (!Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_IsReady(USBUART_COM_PORT, &USBUART_cdcContext)) {}; Cy_USB_Dev_CDC_PutData(USBUART_COM_PORT, (uint8_t *)data + i, 64, &USBUART_cdcContext); Cy_GPIO_Clr(USB64_PORT, USB64_PIN); } } } Thank you.

0 Likes