Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 100 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hi all,

Using New Application: if I select empty  project (or is it empty BSP?) on the first screen where I can choose the kit, then I can choose empty project but there is no dual core ... if I select a kit on the first screen then I see a dual core empty app but I don't want to select a kit. It seems to add more stuff I don't care for because I have my own board.

What am I missing? 

BTW nice improvements with Modustoolbox 3. BSP Assistant is great! Nice job guys/gals.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
13 Replies
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Rodo ,

Does "on the first screen" in your comment means the image below?

Gautami_12_1-1666938058151.png

If you don't want to select a kit then can you please refer to https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/ModusToolbox-2-2-and-later-Make-a-Custom-B....

Where you can find how to create a custom Board Support Package (BSP) for your own hardware?

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for the link you gave but it doesn't help. I don't think I'm making myself clear so here is a picture to clarify.  The top part of the picture shows picking a kit that is the closest to the part I have. Actually it is the same part but I have a TQFP and not the BGA as in the kit. Then I get an option for the dual-CPU empty psoc6 app. I chose it and tried to remove the connectivity module "LBEE5KL..." using the BSP assistant but after updating with the Library manager I get an error about the ".text" code doesn't fit in flash. This is all before I add any code.

So instead I try to do what the bottom of the picture shows. Pick PSOC6-GENERIC as the kit but then there is no dual-CPU empty psoc6 app available.

I want the dual-CPU empty psoc6 app with an empty kit or a way to get rid of the error I get if I pick a kit. Thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello, the PSOC6-GENERIC template is meant as a bare-bones starting point, with minimal examples. 

After giving this more thought, I think it is best to start with BSP Assistant, create and customize the BSP, and then use it to create the application. I created an example using CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 BSP attached that should work. I changed it to the CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device and removed the connectivity device.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4

I don't know what you mean by "it is best to start with BSP Assistant". The BSP Assistant is not available without a project. I tried to "import in place " the supplied file but that did nothing.

So I used the supplied file as the "Kit" (clicked browse to point to the folder) and then I selected the "Dual-CPU psoc6 empty app".  This generated a project with dual CPUs but building the project  without adding any code generates almost the same error  (number of bytes is different): "region `flash' overflowed by 8500 bytes". Here is the last few lines of the build:

Linking output file proj_cm0p.elf
c:/users/rodo/modustoolbox/tools_3.0/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: C:/Users/rodo/mtw/Dual-CPU_Empty_PSoC6_App/proj_cm0p/build/My-Dual-Core_BSP/Debug/proj_cm0p.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `flash'
c:/users/rodo/modustoolbox/tools_3.0/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: region `flash' overflowed by 8500 bytes
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/build.mk:435: C:/Users/rodo/mtw/Dual-CPU_Empty_PSoC6_App/proj_cm0p/build/My-Dual-Core_BSP/Debug/proj_cm0p.elf] Error 1
make[1]: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/main.mk:376: secondstage_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/c/Users/rodo/mtw/Dual-CPU_Empty_PSoC6_App/proj_cm0p'
make: *** [C:/Users/rodo/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0/make/application.mk:72: build] Error 2
"C:/Users/rodo/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0/modus-shell/bin/make CY_MAKE_IDE=eclipse CY_IDE_TOOLS_DIR=C:/Users/rodo/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0 CY_IDE_BT_TOOLS_DIR= -j8 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

15:42:25 Build Failed. 5 errors, 0 warnings. (took 21s.316ms)

0 Likes

It seems the Dual-Core App provides custom linker scripts that are not included when you use a custom BSP. So, using my example BSP means you have to increase the flash size manually. I find that is not so straight forward.

I think there is an easier solution for you. If you really want the CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device for your application, use the Project Creator tool, and start with the CY8CKIT-062-BLE kit as the BSP. Another option is to start with the CY8CKIT-062S4 kit, which uses the CY8CKIT-062S4 device. Both of those BSPs allow you to select the Dual-Core App, unlike PSOC6-GENERIC.

Sorry for the runaround. Hopefully, this solves your problem.

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi again,

First off, you can use the BSP Assistant as a stand-alone tool to create a BSP without any application. Then you can select BSP when creating an application as you did. My apologies for not being more clear about that.

As for the flash error, I'll have to ask a few people about that.

0 Likes

The device I'm using is CY8C624AAZI-S2D44. It looks like you guys have no solution so far. Including a kit includes more stuff (like the connectivity module) and if I try to remove the connectivity module I always get the error that the .text section does not fit in flash. Please ask your people for a solution to this. We need an empty dual cpu example for our own boards without the .text error. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a solution. Thanks.

0 Likes

Yes, sorry for the misdirection here. The solution is to increase the flash size in the linker scripts, but I don't have clear instructions on how to do that yet. I am asking a developer to look into it. 

0 Likes

I want to apologize again. If you want to use the CY8C624ABZI-S2D44 device without a connectivity device, the simplest answer is to start with the CY8CEVAL-062S2 kit using the Project Creator tool. That kit will allow you to select the dual-core application, and it will build without any errors. I should have recognized this sooner, but I got lost in the weeds of working with the BSP Assistant. So sorry to have wasted your time.

0 Likes

So I did what you suggested and indeed CY8CEVAL-062S2 kit doesn't have the connectivity module so no need to remove that... but ... I changed the part to CY8C624AAZI-S2D44 and the error (.text' will not fit in region `flash') showed up again. This time I follow the document pointed out by conradc2380. The BSP assistant doesn't erase the original linker file, it renamed it .bak. So I compared the new and old linker file and I found that the cm0p flash size got reduced from 0x4400 to 0x2000. So I changed them back to 0x4400 and the error went away. The size for cm0p is in both the cm0p and cm4 linker file so it has to be changed in both files. In the cm0p file is line 67:

flash (rx) : ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 0x4400

and in the cm4 file is line 51:

FLASH_CM0P_SIZE = 0x4400; 

Thanks.

I am glad this worked for you. I suggested you use the CY8CEVAL-062S2 kit because I thought you wanted the CY8C624ABZI-S2D44 device. Oh well.

Whenever you change the MCU (at least in PSoC 6 so far), the BSP Assistant replaces the linker scripts in the BSP with the defaults for the selected MCU, as you mentioned. The tool generates a message about that, but the message is easy to miss.

Thanks to you, I'm working with my team to write a KBA about this to hopefully help all users that encounter this problem 

0 Likes
conradc2380
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi ,

I followed this Document and it worked for me, it's a bit on the older side of things but the basic is the same .

002-15656_AN215656_PSoC_6_MCU_Dual-CPU_System_Design

hope it helps

Regards