Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vivekatamantya
Level 2
Level 2
10 questions asked 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hello, community,

Is there any memory analysis tool that can be used with ModusToolbox IDE? We are using PSoC 6-based microcontroller to develop our applications, so we need a tool for memory analysis for our application firmware that can be integrated with ModusToolbox to test it. We need to test the stack size during run-time for our application. Is there any tool that Infineon provides that can be used for the mentioned application?

Please share your suggestions.

TIA. Regards,
Vivek Karna

0 Likes
1 Solution
Charles_Lai
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 10 questions asked

Hi,

Theoretically, run-time memory usage analysis requires SWD/JTAG interface support. But I'm unfamiliar with such features. Please inform me if you had seen such real cases so I can find a concrete solution for you.

Meanwhile, static memory usage analysis is adequate for embedded applications because they run in a single address space so the memory consumption can be easily measured merely from the binaries. There are several flags in GCC that might help you with that. See:
https://embeddedartistry.com/blog/2020/08/17/three-gcc-flags-for-analyzing-memory-usage/

Since ModusToolbox uses standard GNU Toolchains, you are free to try all GCC features.

Best regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Qi_Colin
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hi @vivekatamantya :

In ModusToolbox IDE, it has some tools in debug mode like below, could you try to check whether they can meet your requirement or not?

Qi_Colin_0-1677551537447.png

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes

Hello Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

I have used the "Memory" option to see the contents/values present at that memory location of MCU. But my requirement is different than the available options. I want to see the available stack memory during the run-time of my application, which the "Memory" option can't tell me.

Please free to ask any more questions about my requirements. 

You would have used Memory Analysis or Stack Analysis tool somewhere in your project, I guess.

Thanks, 
Vivek Karna

0 Likes
Charles_Lai
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 10 questions asked

Hi,

Theoretically, run-time memory usage analysis requires SWD/JTAG interface support. But I'm unfamiliar with such features. Please inform me if you had seen such real cases so I can find a concrete solution for you.

Meanwhile, static memory usage analysis is adequate for embedded applications because they run in a single address space so the memory consumption can be easily measured merely from the binaries. There are several flags in GCC that might help you with that. See:
https://embeddedartistry.com/blog/2020/08/17/three-gcc-flags-for-analyzing-memory-usage/

Since ModusToolbox uses standard GNU Toolchains, you are free to try all GCC features.

Best regards

0 Likes