Is the I/O Subsystem of PSoC6 based on PSoC5 ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoPa_4215136
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

Hi together,

I just wondering if there are any difference between the I/O subsystem of PSoC 6 and 5. In the datasheet of PSoC 5 i saw a detailed description of the functionality of the I/O. In PSoC 6 there is no detailed description. Only mentioned is the addition of SMART I/O.

So the question: Are there any limitations by the usage of I/O from PSoC 6 compared with PSoC 5 ?

Thank you in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Since PSoC 5 and PSoC 6 are the products from Cypress under the same product line, you can see so much similarity in the architecture of GPIO. However, both the architectures are not 100 % same. You can see some differences like Smart I/O. All the explanation given to GPIO block functionality in PSoC 5LP device is applicable to PSoC 6 devices also.

>>" Are there any limitations by the usage of I/O from PSoC 6 compared with PSoC 5 ?"

--> There will not be any limitations in terms of functionality. The differences may include electrical specifications and maximum ratings. Please refer corresponding datasheets for more information. For example the operating range of PSoC 5Lp devices is 1.71 to 5.5 volts where for PSoC 6 it is 1.7-3.6 volts.

Please let us know if you need any information in particular to any functionality.

Thanks

Ganesh

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Since PSoC 5 and PSoC 6 are the products from Cypress under the same product line, you can see so much similarity in the architecture of GPIO. However, both the architectures are not 100 % same. You can see some differences like Smart I/O. All the explanation given to GPIO block functionality in PSoC 5LP device is applicable to PSoC 6 devices also.

>>" Are there any limitations by the usage of I/O from PSoC 6 compared with PSoC 5 ?"

--> There will not be any limitations in terms of functionality. The differences may include electrical specifications and maximum ratings. Please refer corresponding datasheets for more information. For example the operating range of PSoC 5Lp devices is 1.71 to 5.5 volts where for PSoC 6 it is 1.7-3.6 volts.

Please let us know if you need any information in particular to any functionality.

Thanks

Ganesh

A difference between PSoC 5 and 6 pins is the ability for PSoC5 to program the pin's state at power up. This needs to be done with PSoC6 using external pull up/down resistors.

Bob