Is it possible to generate two independent PWM outputs with one TCPWM Component in a PSoC 6 device?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoLa_1225936
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

I need 36 PWM outputs in my design. PSoC 6 has only 32 TCPWM Moduls. So there is the question if two independent PWM outputs can be handeld by one TCPWM Component. And by the way, what is the purpose of swapping periode/compare register?

Thank you for your answers and best regards

Robert

1 Solution
9 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi Robert,

First of all, it is impossible if you use one tcpwm to act as two totally different PWM.

But if there is any relationship between the chip channel signals, we could use some other controller to output the signal you want.

What is the purpose of swapping period/compare register?

You could refer to the register TRM which clarify the function of the two register clearly.https://www.cypress.com/file/421411/download

Best regards

0 Likes

Hi LingLingG_46,

thanks for your answer. I would like to have the possibility to generate two independent duty cycles per PWM, the frequency of both signals can be the same. Do yout thinks this is possible?

Best regards

Robert

0 Likes

That's possible if you use an UDB based PWM.

We have such component available for PSoC 5LP and PSoC 4, however is not available for PSoC 6 yet.

Perhaps someone in the community already ported to PSoC 6?

0 Likes

Hello RodolfoG_11,

Thanks for your answer. I tried to realize the 36 PWM outputs with a PSoC 5 LP but the number of UDBs is not enough. Is there a way to extend UDB based PWM so that more than 2 outputs per PWM are available? A solution with a PSOC 5 would be great, because there are variants with 2 SAR ADCs. The circuit also has to handle 20 analog inputs.

Best regards

Robert

0 Likes

Hi Robert.

I attach a project with 36 PWM outputs (8 bits) + 20 analog inputs (connected via a amux and connected to ADC DelSig

I put also a UART to "see" the info .

If you see the report (.rpt) file, the P5LP is almost full.

If you need more resolution, It would be a problem. Sure that's not enough room

I tried to use a SAR with 20 inputs but didn't fit

B.R.

Gil

0 Likes

Hi Rodolfo,

thank you for your answer and the link to your quad PWM. Looks very promising, but unfortunately I need PWMs with 12 bit resolution. Do you think it can be extended to 12 bit and then only needs 2 UDBs? Then the 24 UDBs offered by a large PSoC 5 LP would be enough. If yes, I'd try my hand at it, even if I haven't quite understood how your PWM works yet.

Best regards

Robert

0 Likes

Yes, that's definitely doable. It will require some changes. Basically you need to substitute a 8-bit datapath with a 16-bit datapath. So you can have 4 PWMs per 2 UDBs.

Hi Gil,

thank you for your answer and for the sample project. Unfortunately I forgot to mention that the PWMs need a resolution of 12 bit.

Best regards

Robert

0 Likes