How to measure PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer board power?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GirijaC
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

HI,

I want to measure the whole board power by powering the board through external supply and measure the current. I am using Keithly source meter to do the job. What are the options available to measure the board current consumption?

0 Likes
1 Solution
VaisakhK_66
Employee
Employee
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello,

On PSoC 6 Pioneer board, you can insert an ammeter in place of the jumper J8. By doing this you can measure the current consumed by PSoC 6 alone.

You can also make use of the KitProg2 Power Monitoring code example to measure the power.

Thanks,

Vaisakh

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VaisakhK_66
Employee
Employee
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello,

On PSoC 6 Pioneer board, you can insert an ammeter in place of the jumper J8. By doing this you can measure the current consumed by PSoC 6 alone.

You can also make use of the KitProg2 Power Monitoring code example to measure the power.

Thanks,

Vaisakh

GirijaC
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

HI Vaisakh,

I need to measure board current not the PSoC 6 alone. I am using VIN on the Arduino connector to supply the power to the PSoC 6 board externally and measuring the current. I see this is the method to measure complete board current consumption by seeing the schematics of the board. Let me know if this method is correct to measure the complete board power consumption?

Thanks,

Girija

Hi Girija,

Yes, you can make use of the VIN on J9 Header to measure the board power. If you are using the USB while powering from the VIN, care must be taken to ensure that VIN > VBUS_TC (5V) otherwise VBUS_TC would be powering the board.

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks,

Vaisakh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ( vkvk​) ​Vaisakh,

I'm trying to measure the current to the PSoC 6 module isolated from the rest of the board. However, when I remove the jumper on J8, the PSoC is still powered (please note, the ammeter is also not connected).. I measure ~3.3V when probing P6_VDD and ~2V when probing VTARG. If this is the correct location to measure isolated current to the PSoC, VTARG shouldn't I measure 0 when the jumper is not installed on J8? I have confirmed R23 is not loaded.

Please advise, and thank you for the feedback!

Best,
Jennie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The EE101 Insight-Pro at www.EE101.com does a great job measuring current for these types of designs!

BLECurrent.jpg

0 Likes