Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Seenaa1
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi friends,

I am a beginner on the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Board. Let me get some advice on how to measure voltage drops across the PSoC 6 board using Picoscope 2204A.

The idea is to supply 1.2V, 1.4V, 1.6V, 1.8V, 2V, and 3.3V to the board and then measure the voltage drops across the board to get the power consumption.

To measure the current, the R28 zero-ohm resistor was removed and two pins were installed, which worked well. Now, it is not clear to me how to supply some voltages using a USB cable and measure the voltage drops on the whole board to obtain the power consumption of the PSoC 6 MCU. I think the PSoC 6 MCU supports 0.9V in ultralow power mode and 1.1V in low power mode.

The attached figure is for the current measurement. Please let me know how to measure the voltage for the whole board and where to contact the hook tip of the Picoscope 2204A.

Seenaa1_1-1701153926580.png

Thank you.

Seenaa

0 Likes
1 Solution
ADSW
250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @Seenaa1 , 

Since you said :
The idea is to supply 1.2V, 1.4V, 1.6V, 1.8V, 2V, and 3.3V to the board and then measure the voltage drops across the board to get the power consumption.

That's mean we can't supply the voltage through the USB, since it will going through LDO-regulator(U2).
At least we need to give 3.3+0.5V to the VBUS and the supply voltage to the board will always 3.3V.

If we want to supply with voltage variations to the board, we need to pass the LDO. 
We need to supply the voltage through pin P6_VDD of the board.

ADSW_0-1703054517571.png

Warm regards
Andri

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
MuhammadNanda_K
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 50 likes received

Hello @Seenaa1 ,

We are looking into your query and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you and regards,
Muhammad Nanda

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello @Seenaa1 ,

Voltage drop is defined as the loss of voltage caused by the flow of current through resistance ( in series ).
In your experiment, which point or load do you want to measure?
For example,
While the R28 still populated on the board, we can measure the voltage drop from the R28 on the pads or J3-con. 

Which dev-board do you use? Since you mentioned r28, I assume that the board you are using is CY8CPROTO-063-BLE
To supply 1.2V, 1.4V, 1.6V, 1.8V, 2V, and 3.3V to the board and then measure the voltage drops, we need to refer to the schematic of the board.

Pin P6_VDD of J1 ( J1_01 and J1_20 ) for the supply to the PSoC. 
Then measure the voltage drop of circuit ( positive pad of C29 or VDD PSoC [ pin 4 of PSoC ] and pin P6_VDD). 

Warm regards,
Andri

0 Likes
Seenaa1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear ADSW,

A ton of thanks for your effort and time.

Yes, as you said I want to measure the voltage drop across the circuit in the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE board. To measure the current flows in the board, I have removed R28, installed a 2-pin jumper, and contacted 2-pin with GND using Picoscope 2204A. Now, in the same way, I want to measure the total voltage drops in the circuit. I have referred to the schematic but I cannot understand it.  From the schematic attached below, which one  (A or B figure) is correct to measure voltage drops across the circuit of CYBLE-416045-02

Seenaa1_3-1701260383703.png

Seenaa1_4-1701260405103.png

Now:

1. How to measure the total voltage drop across the CYBLE-416045-02 board?
  2.  If I have supplied 1.65V, 2.5V, or 3.3V to the board from a USB cable, which Pin/Resistor/or components of the board are used to measure the voltage drops while the board performs some computations?
  3. Where is the appropriate place to contact/point to measure the total voltage of my board? May I contact GND with Pin P6_VDD of J1?? 
  4. Finally, I didn't understand this message from the reply. Pls, show me on the board using the figure.

Seenaa1_6-1701261447206.png

For example, I have measured current in this way. Am I right? Look at this figure:

Seenaa1_1-1701260098155.png

Please, would you use figures for further clarification?

Many thanks.

Seenaa1

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello @Seenaa1

The A circuit is the voltage regulator ( LDO ) for the  target board (  CY8CPROTO-063-BLE ).
It reduces and stabilizes the voltage from 5v (USB) to 3.3v. 

ADSW_0-1701503598705.png
But before the voltage comes to the target board ( CYBLE-416045-02 ), there is a reverse voltage protection circuit
to protect the circuit before this circuit if a supply voltage is applied from the Vtarg pin( CYBLE-416045-02 ).

ADSW_1-1701503856034.png

The B circuit is a part of kitprog2, used for monitoring the voltage of target module, vUSB and as the reference for SIO voltage. 

ADSW_2-1701504127945.png

1. How to measure the total voltage drop across the CYBLE-416045-02 board?

To measure the voltage applied to the  CYBLE-416945-02, please use the pad of C29
    ADSW_3-1701504549634.png

or pad number 4 of CYBLE-416045-02

ADSW_4-1701504757331.png

2.  If I have supplied 1.65V, 2.5V, or 3.3V to the board from a USB cable, which Pin/Resistor/or components of the board are used to measure the voltage drops while the board performs some computations?

Actually, you can supply the 1.65V, 2.5V and 3.3V to the board from USB port since there is voltage regulator circuit that has minimum voltage input to make it works with voltage output 3.3V.  
    You can supply the voltage externally trough pin P6_VDD and measure on that pin against ground pad ( pin ) as input voltage of the board.
    ADSW_5-1701505017010.png

3. Where is the appropriate place to contact/point to measure the total voltage of my board? May I contact GND with Pin P6_VDD of J1?? 
    Connect your (+) probe of picoscope to the P6_VDD pin and (-) probe to the GND pin to measure Vin ( applied to the board ). 
    and other (+) probe to 4th pin of CYBLE-416045-02 and other (-) probe to the GND to measure voltage of module. 

However, you will only get a fairly small difference in voltage. 

Warm regards,
    Andri

0 Likes
Seenaa1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ADSW,

Thank you so much for your time and clarification. One more thing is that I think that C29 is used to measure only the BLE module voltage, not the total voltage of the board. Please, would you have any idea here? Because I need the total voltage of the board, not only specific components of the board.

Seenaa1_0-1701760538462.png

Finally, why the measured voltage value is changed (not constant value) when I measure it again and again? I think it has to be a constant value. 

A ton of thanks.

Seenaa1

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello @Seenaa1 

Apologize me for my delayed response. 

Yes,  C29 is used to measure the BLE module only. 
If you want to measure total voltage of the board, you can give the voltage supply to the board through pin P6_VDD externally and measure on that pin too. 
But the voltage drop you get is caused by the cable or supply voltage line. 

Finally, why the measured voltage value is changed (not constant value) when I measure it again and again? 
Which pin or pad do you used for ? 
Voltage changes can be caused by the performance of the CYBLE-416945-02, it will depend on active peripherals and your application.

Warm regards
Andri

0 Likes
Seenaa1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Andri,

Again, thank you for your lovely support.

"If you want to measure total voltage of the board, you can give the voltage supply to the board through pin P6_VDD externally and measure on that pin too."

Already,  the voltage is supplied to the board using a USB cable. In order to measure the total voltage of the board, do you think it is a must to use an external voltage supply? It is better if there is another mechanism to measure the voltage of the board than using the external supply voltage.

Which pin or pad do you used for ?

I have contacted "GND of my Pisocsope to the GND of the board,"   AND "+ terminal of my Picoscope with the P6_VDD pin on the board."

Thanks.

Seenaa

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello @Seenaa1 , 

Since you said :

That's mean we can't supply the voltage through the USB, since it will going through LDO-regulator(U2).
At least we need to give 3.3+0.5V to the VBUS and the supply voltage to the board will always 3.3V.

If we want to supply with voltage variations to the board, we need to pass the LDO. 
We need to supply the voltage through pin P6_VDD of the board.

ADSW_0-1703054517571.png

Warm regards
Andri

0 Likes
Seenaa1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andri,

A ton of thanks. Now, it is clear to me.

ADSW

Hello @Seenaa1 ,

Thanks for your confirmation
then I will close this thread.

Thanks & regards
Andri

0 Likes