High current on CY8CPROTO-062-4343W when user button is pressed

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TG19
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

I notice a current increase from 70 mA to 130 mA on the 5V supply side when the user button is pressed on the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W prototyping board.
Is this normal behavior and what is the reason for this?

The current through R24 / R22 should only be 0.33 mA while the button is pressed.

This was measured while running the Hello_World example from project-creator (with LED off). If user button is pressed while reset button is also pressed the current rises from 63 mA to 123 mA, so still an 60 mA increase while user button is pressed.

Thanks for advice and best regards,
 TG19

0 Likes
1 Solution
TG19
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Ekta_N,

the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W is powered via USB at KitProg and I measure the current to the VBUS Pin. I checked your suggestion, but I think it would not make a big difference, as there is already a 4.7 K pull up (R33) on the CY8CMOD-062-4343W.

Looking at both the CY8CMOD-062-4343W and CY8CPROTO-062-4343W schematics, I think I found the problem. When the user button is pressed there will be a short circuit of the output of U3 to GND:

screenshot705.png

So in the default configuration the user button of the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W should not be used. Maybe you could confirm this?

Thanks and best regards,
  TG19

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @TG19 ,

Could you please let us know the point at which you are measuring the current in your case?

It is recommended to externally pull up the XRES pin to VDDD via a 4.7-kΩ resistor (R25 resistor). Could you please try connecting a 4.7k  ohm resistor in R25 resistor space provided and measure the currents again?

Kindly provide an update regarding the measured current when using a 4.7k ohm resistor.

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

0 Likes
TG19
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Ekta_N,

the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W is powered via USB at KitProg and I measure the current to the VBUS Pin. I checked your suggestion, but I think it would not make a big difference, as there is already a 4.7 K pull up (R33) on the CY8CMOD-062-4343W.

Looking at both the CY8CMOD-062-4343W and CY8CPROTO-062-4343W schematics, I think I found the problem. When the user button is pressed there will be a short circuit of the output of U3 to GND:

screenshot705.png

So in the default configuration the user button of the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W should not be used. Maybe you could confirm this?

Thanks and best regards,
  TG19

0 Likes
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @TG19 

I guess you are correct. There is a short between the U3 module and P0.4 Pin (user button).
I checked the datasheet of the SN74AUP1T34DSFR and noticed that it has a current output of 50 mA which is almost equal to the rise in current that you are observing when pressing the user button.

Thanks 

Ekta

0 Likes