High Impedance Not Working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RyWi_4724536
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

I have a pin set to high impedance digital and an external pull up resistor of 10k ohm to 3.3V. For some reason the pin stays at 2.35V instead of going to 3.3V.

It almost seems like the pin has some internal pull down that I am fighting.

I am using chip CY8C6347LQI-BLD52, pin P7.2

Any ideas why it isn’t going to 3.3V?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

RyWi,

Can you share your project with on thread?

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
RyWi_4724536
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Sure the pin in question is labelled BUT in the TopDesign

0 Likes

RyWi,

Thanks.  Downloaded your project.  No issue with 'BUT' (P7.2)

Are you using a Cypress Kit or eval board?  OR any eval board?   If so, it might be possible that the eval board may have a ~25K resistance to GND externally.

Len
0 Likes

This is a custom PCB. It had a pull up resistor to 3.3V, but I removed it. 
I checked two other pins I have access to P6.0, and P6.1 and those work correctly.

The problem also shows itself if I do resistive pull up/down by the high only being 2.35V instead of 3.3V. Low is correct at 0V.

Looking at the PCB schematic there is definitely not an external pull down resistor.

Is it possible some setting for internal pull up is enabled in the code somewhere?

0 Likes

RyWi,

I tried your project on my Cy8CKIT-062-BLE eval board which uses the same CPU.

I don't have access to P7.2 so I moved it to P7.3.   When I build your project and place a pull-up bias resistor on P7.3 I get 3.3V.  I don't know what to say.

Since you're using a custom PCB, with the power off, perform a resistance measurement from P7.2 to GND.    If you're seeing about 25K, you have to question if there is a trace short to another circuit or damaged PSoC6.

Len
0 Likes

After a lot of digging we found out that the the pin behaves correctly if we change the VDDA voltage from 1.8V to 3.3V.

Right now we have:

VDDD- 3.3V

VBACKUP - 3.3V

VDDIO1 - 3.3V

VDDA, VDDIO_A - 1.8V

VDDIO_0 - 1.8V

If we change VDDA and VDDIO_0 to be at 3.3V then the high impedance mode works correctly. We can't do this for normal operation however.

Any ideas what could be going on here? And if there is any risk to damaging the psoc if we keep the voltage levels where they are?

Also for reference the misbehaving pin, P7.2, is on VDDIO1 which is always at 3.3V

0 Likes

RyWi,

In a different PSoC (PSoC5 I believe) VDDA must be > or = to VDDD.   I've been looking for this requirement in the TRMs and the datasheet for the PSoC6 but could not find it.

Still looking...

Len
0 Likes

RyWi,

Have you received an acceptable answer to issue?

I couldn't find any prerequisites on the PSoC6 for VDDA to be >= to VDDD.  This is a requirement for the PSoC5LP CPU.

However, your evidence appears to confirm this as well.

Is there a reason that you need 1.8V on VDDA?

It might be possible to achieve your specific requirements with VDDA = 3.3V.

If you can share your project requirements regarding the analog subsystem, we may be able to counsel you as to solutions.

Len
0 Likes