Help using USB Configurator with Creator 4.4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
pblemel
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins First like received

I am editing this post to provide a quick answer for the next person:

In PSoC Creator, the process for instantiating and using a USBFS block is not the same for PSoC 5 and PSoC 6, which leads to some confusion.

Problem:

Placing a USBFS block and generating the design without running the USB configurator results in USBUART_cfg.c and USBUART_cfg.h each containing the following:

#error File ..\cycfg_usbdev\cycfg_usbdev.c does not exist! Launch USB Configurator

Solution:

• For a PSoC 5 design, the block in the palette is "USBFS V3.2".  Double-clicking on a V3.2 instance opens the USB Configurator.
  • For a PSoC 6 design, the block in the palette is "USBFS V1.0".  Unlike the USBFS V3.2 block, double-clicking on a V1.0 instance opens a simple configuration dialog. Instead, right-click on the USBFS instance and from the context menu click "Launch USB Configurator". 

My design is for a PSoC 6. What threw me off was the term "Launch USB Configurator", which lead me to the stand-alone USB Configurator application found in the Windows start-menu Cypress folder. This is not what you want. 

The good news is that while the USB Configurator looks daunting, the default values are sufficient to make a working design. 

Best,
Peter 

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @pblemel ,

I went through the issue mentioned in the thread. It seems a little unclear to me. Can you please simplify and explain the problem you are facing ? 

As I understood, you are facing this error at you end "

#error File ..\cycfg_usbdev\cycfg_usbdev.c does not exist! Launch USB Configurator

This occurs when the USBFS component is not properly configured. To understand this and properly configuring the USBFS component,  you can go through the USBFS_UART PSoC 5 code example. In this code example, the USBFS component is enumerated as a virtual COM port and sends received data back to the COM-port terminal. I have attached this code example for your reference here.

Best Regards,

Aashita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @pblemel ,

I went through the issue mentioned in the thread. It seems a little unclear to me. Can you please simplify and explain the problem you are facing ? 

As I understood, you are facing this error at you end "

This occurs when the USBFS component is not properly configured. To understand this and properly configuring the USBFS component,  you can go through the USBFS_UART PSoC 5 code example. In this code example, the USBFS component is enumerated as a virtual COM port and sends received data back to the COM-port terminal. I have attached this code example for your reference here.

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Aashita,

I do not have a PSoC 5, but I opened your example design in PSoC Creator 4.4.  When I double-click on your USBUART component, I get a USB configuration dialog:

pblemel_0-1669944566427.png

If I create a new design in PSoC Creator 4.4, drag a USBFS block from Cypress tab/Communications/USB/USBFS Device onto the schematic, and then double click on it I do not get this dialog.  I get this one:

pblemel_1-1669944707747.png

If I copy the block from the example design and paste it into my new design, then I get the "correct" configuration menu above. 

Both blocks look the same. Each says "USBFS" in the blue band at the top of the block. Something must different between them.  How does the block on your example design differ from the one I drag onto on my new design from the Creator 4.4 palette? Where do I find one like yours to drag onto the schematic?   

Thanks,
Peter

0 Likes

Aashita,

The issue seems to be specific to the PSoC 6.  If I create a new PSoC 5 design, the block in the palette says "USBFS V3.2".  The V3.2 block opens the correct property dialog for configuration. If I create new a PSoC6 design, the block in the palette is "USBFS V1.0."  The V1.0 block does not show the correct properties.

The PSoC 6 design created by my former co-worker uses an USBFS block and is configured - but appears to be a V1.0 block (it brings up the "wrong" properties dialog).  I wonder how he got it to configure?  Maybe he had to manually copy files from a PSoC 5 V3.2 design block to make it work, because I am unable to reproduce what he did. 

Does that help?

Thanks,
Peter

0 Likes