HCI Initialization Fails on CY8CMOD-062-4343W

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cvanbeek
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello,

I have a CY8CMOD-062-4343W evaluation board that I'm trying to get up and running in Modus Toolbox for a BLE project.  I started with the BLE_CapSense_Buttons_and_Slider example project.  I got that up and running and it worked great with the CySmart app and the terminal output matched what was expected in the README.

Then I started adding in my own BLE Characteristics using the Bluetooth Configurator (v 2.30).  After making some changes, the BLE now fails to start, and I get the following messages on my terminal:

Bluetooth Stack Initialization Successful!
[613] hci_open(): init error (0x4021c00)
[613] hci_write(): UART is NOT initialized
[613] handle_hci_tx_command(): hci write failed (0xb7)

I am not sure what would be causing the HCI initialization to fail, and I can't find anything on what these error messages mean.  It is weird to me that I get the Initialization Successful message, since I would have thought that initializing HCI would be part of the BLE stack setup.

It is also worth noting that the ble_app_management_cb() method is never called like it is in the example app, so I don't get the messages about my device name and address.

I can however touch the capsense slider and I see that the ble_task handles this by calling the ble_send_notification() method which seems to finish without errors despite the HCI not being initialized.

Any help on tracking down this error would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes
3 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @cvanbeek , Please zip and share your project so that we can take a look at the issue in your project.

Which version of the BTSTACK and bluetooth-freertos are you using in your application? Which version of modustoolbox are you using? Is it 2.3.1 or 2.3?

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

Sorry I missed your initial reply.  Here are the versions I'm using:

• Modus ToolBox: 2.3.0
  • bluetooth-freertos library: 1.3.0
  • btstack library: 1.5.0
  • Library Manager: 1.3
  • Bluetooth Configurator: 2.30

I believe at one point I tried updating the bluetooth-freertos and btstack libraries to the newest version, and doing so completely ruined to project.  The library manager for Modus Toolbox doesn't do a great job of pulling in or removing libraries.

My project was initially created and modified from the AnyCloud_BLE_CapSense_Buttons_and_Slider example project.  I can run that project without getting this error.

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @cvanbeek , We highly recommend you to use the latest version of the Btstack and the bluetooth freertos. However note that BTSTACK 3.x and above requires you to install MTB 2.3.1 patch

https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox#tabs-0-bottom_side-6

Please update the tools and library to the latest versions and let us know if the issue is still reproducible.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes