Flash overflow for CM0+ in Dual-CPU operation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaryLim
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked First like received 10 replies posted

Using MTB 3.0, starting from the Dual-CPU_IPC_Semaphore example, I am trying to implement some codes in CM0+. However, during compilation there is an error stating that my flash memory region is overflow. Please advise how can I make the memory adjustment. Thanks!

Compile Output:

Generating compilation database file...
-> ./build/compile_commands.json
Compilation database file generation complete
Building 203 file(s)
Linking output file proj_cm0p.elf
c:/users/XXXXXX/modustoolbox/tools_3.0/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: C:/Users/XXXXXX/mtw3/Dual-CPU_IPC_Semaphore/proj_cm0p/build/APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE/Debug/proj_cm0p.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `flash'
c:/users/XXXXXX/modustoolbox/tools_3.0/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: region `flash' overflowed by 21660 bytes
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/build.mk:435: C:/Users/XXXXXX/mtw3/Dual-CPU_IPC_Semaphore/proj_cm0p/build/APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE/Debug/proj_cm0p.elf] Error 1
make[3]: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/main.mk:376: secondstage_build] Error 2
make[2]: *** [C:/Users/XXXXXX/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0//make/application.mk:72: build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/build.mk:314: build_application_bootstrap] Error 2
make: *** [../../mtb_shared/core-make/release-v3.0.0/make/core/main.mk:376: secondstage_build] Error 2
"C:/Users/XXXXXX/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0/modus-shell/bin/make CY_MAKE_IDE=eclipse CY_IDE_TOOLS_DIR=C:/Users/XXXXXX/ModusToolbox/tools_3.0 CY_IDE_BT_TOOLS_DIR= -j8 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

Regards,

Gary

0 Likes
1 Solution
jaholmes
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 10 sign-ins First like received

Hi, Gary - I ran into this recently myself when implementing USB CDC in the CM0+.  Happily, the instructions for growing the CM0+ flash allocation are in a comment at the top of system_psoc6.h.  Unhappily, those instructions are broken in MTB 3.0, at least for all the dual-CPU examples I've tried.  Here's what you actually do:

First, go to the CM0+ Makefile and delete or comment out the following line.  This line is added in MTB 3.0 for some reason, and makes the definition in system_psoc6.h redundant, breaking the instructions in that file:

DEFINES+=CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR=CY_FLASH_BASE+0x4400U

Next, assuming you're using GCC, go to bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\COMPONENT_CM0P\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\linker.ld and grow the flash LENGTH from 0x4400  (or whatever it happens to be) to the desired value:

flash             (rx)    : ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 0x4400

Tweak the same value in bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\COMPONENT_CM4\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\linker.ld:

FLASH_CM0P_SIZE  = 0x4400;

And again in bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\system_psoc6.h (this edit is prescribed in the instructions, but has no effect unless you first fix the Makefile as described above):

#if !defined (CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR)
	#define CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR          (CY_FLASH_BASE + 0x4400U)
#endif /* (CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR) */

Rebuild everything and you should be good.

I posted about the Makefile bug a few days back but didn't get any official acknowledgement.  I can only assume that there aren't many people messing with the CM0+ halves of these samples.

Best,
Aaron

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
jaholmes
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 10 sign-ins First like received

Hi, Gary - I ran into this recently myself when implementing USB CDC in the CM0+.  Happily, the instructions for growing the CM0+ flash allocation are in a comment at the top of system_psoc6.h.  Unhappily, those instructions are broken in MTB 3.0, at least for all the dual-CPU examples I've tried.  Here's what you actually do:

First, go to the CM0+ Makefile and delete or comment out the following line.  This line is added in MTB 3.0 for some reason, and makes the definition in system_psoc6.h redundant, breaking the instructions in that file:

DEFINES+=CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR=CY_FLASH_BASE+0x4400U

Next, assuming you're using GCC, go to bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\COMPONENT_CM0P\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\linker.ld and grow the flash LENGTH from 0x4400  (or whatever it happens to be) to the desired value:

flash             (rx)    : ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 0x4400

Tweak the same value in bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\COMPONENT_CM4\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\linker.ld:

FLASH_CM0P_SIZE  = 0x4400;

And again in bsps\TARGET_APP_CY8CPROTO-063-BLE\system_psoc6.h (this edit is prescribed in the instructions, but has no effect unless you first fix the Makefile as described above):

#if !defined (CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR)
	#define CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR          (CY_FLASH_BASE + 0x4400U)
#endif /* (CY_CORTEX_M4_APPL_ADDR) */

Rebuild everything and you should be good.

I posted about the Makefile bug a few days back but didn't get any official acknowledgement.  I can only assume that there aren't many people messing with the CM0+ halves of these samples.

Best,
Aaron

0 Likes
GaryLim
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked First like received 10 replies posted

Hello Aaron,

Kudos and many thanks for providing the solution.  I have managed to overcome the flash size limitation.

Just to add a side note here, during my process of adjusting the flash size for CM0+, there seem to be a requirement for the flash size to be 1024 bytes aligned. Otherwise, the ASSERT will be set to false.

CY_ASSERT_L2((vectorTableOffset & CY_SYS_CM4_VECTOR_TABLE_VALID_ADDR) == 0UL);

Apart from that minor adjustment, following your instructions will get the flash memory layout successfully re-organized and execute larger codes in CM0+ core.

Thanks!

Gary