Do you have PSoC Creator convert to MTB tool ?!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Tim_Shih
Level 5
Level 5
250 sign-ins 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Dear Receiver,

In the past, we used PSoC Creator to design MCU peripheral. By using PSoC Creator GUI, we can easily initial MCU peripherals.

Now if we want to use PSoC 6 to enhanced the function. We need to use MTB to develop.

Do you have tools that can convert *.cysch file to MTB library file directly ?!

How to converter *.cysch to MTB ?!

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Tim,

Some PSoC6s (sadly not all) are designable in PSoC Creator.

Converting a Creator design to ModusToolbox:

• The 'C' code in .c and ..h files are mostly (>90%) portable. [Good News!!!]
  • TopDesign -- sadly no transfer.  You can use the PDL and HAL libraries where you can configure the fixed resources ALL in code.  You can use the "Device Configurator" as a startup configuration instead of the PDL/HAL method.
  • UDB components in TopDesign.  No Infineon tool.   If your PSoC6 has UDBs, you can configure them MANUALLY by writing to the registers.  Not for the 'faint of heart'.  There is a user-designed tool from Rolf Nooteboom.  Take a look at this link:  How-do-I-create-a-custom-UDB-solution-in-the-Modus-toolbox 

Personally, if your design using a PSoC6 can be implemented in Creator, I see no advantage to ModusToolbox.

However many of the newer PSoC6s,  newer PSoC4s and WiFi product can only use ModusToolbox as an IDE.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Tim,

Some PSoC6s (sadly not all) are designable in PSoC Creator.

Converting a Creator design to ModusToolbox:

• The 'C' code in .c and ..h files are mostly (>90%) portable. [Good News!!!]
  • TopDesign -- sadly no transfer.  You can use the PDL and HAL libraries where you can configure the fixed resources ALL in code.  You can use the "Device Configurator" as a startup configuration instead of the PDL/HAL method.
  • UDB components in TopDesign.  No Infineon tool.   If your PSoC6 has UDBs, you can configure them MANUALLY by writing to the registers.  Not for the 'faint of heart'.  There is a user-designed tool from Rolf Nooteboom.  Take a look at this link:  How-do-I-create-a-custom-UDB-solution-in-the-Modus-toolbox 

Personally, if your design using a PSoC6 can be implemented in Creator, I see no advantage to ModusToolbox.

However many of the newer PSoC6s,  newer PSoC4s and WiFi product can only use ModusToolbox as an IDE.

Len
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi ~ Len,

For example, in the attached file we can see a TopDesign picture.

It has a I2S block, filp-flop, DMA and inverter blocks, etc.

If I want to use MTB to achieve this TopDesign,,, 

How should I start ?! Please kindly guide me.

Thank you so so much.

0 Likes

Tim,

I spend 90% of my time in PSoC Creator.  Therefore I'm not an expert on MTB.

Is the PSoC6 part you want to use available under Creator?  If so, I recommend sticking with Creator.

If not, you only other chose is MTB.

Here's my advice until someone with more MTB experience can weigh in.

I2S

The I2S is a fixed resource.  Therefore you can allocate in Device Configurator ... or ... you can allocate it using PDL/HAL API calls.   Note:  Whereas other PSoCs provided great flexibility of GPIO assignment for peripherals such as the I2S, the PSoC6 architecture is generally more limited.

I know of at least one example project for MTB using the I2S.

Logic Elements

The logic elements such as the 2 DFFs, not gate and the output mux MIGHT be able to be implemented using SmartIO.  If you can change the logic to avoid the SCLK inversion (I realize you're trying to clock on both edges) then a SmartIO implementation is highly possible.

SmartIOs can be assigned clocked logic in the LUTs but I don't think it can negotiate both edges of the input clock.

DMA

Although I've never used the DMA resources on the PSoC6, this is definitely doable.   Since I2S clocking is usually very fast and "real-time", it needs DMA.

The same example projects that use the I2S most likely will include DMA operation.

Len

Hi ~ Len, 

It's ok. I understand your point. Very appreciated your feedback.

BTW, would you mind introduce your colleague who is familiar with MTB to me ?!

Thank you so so much.

0 Likes

Tim,

I'm the sole person that works at CONSULTRON.

I was referring to others who participate in this forum.

Now if you want to attract more expert "eyes" on your topic there are other forums that might consider placing your question to:

Len

Dear Len,

ok ok, I will try to use these resources.

Thank you for your valuable information. 

0 Likes