DFU host source file(Parser for .cyacd2 file)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Oxanagig3
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I am designing the DFU host on one Cypress MCU to bootload the other PSoC 6 MCU, as far as I know, there is no example code nor any explanation of the .cyacd2 file format.

Here is what I found:

BLE OTA/DFU host example?  This is not applicable as the reference is designed to work with .cyacd file, not .cyacd2 file.

Device Firmware Update Host Tool Source Code? The source code is simply not available based on the feedback.

My question is that could we at least get the .cyacd2 file parser file, so that we can implement the host code on the MCU?

Honestly, releasing the DFU host utility source will greatly help this type of project. Otherwise, it is wasting everybody's time to reverse engineer the DFU SDK code. Cypress will sell the chip anyway regardless of the DFU, the DFU does not make a profit. With the current situation, it could only hurt the business due to the bad customer experience.

I hope Cypress engineer would re-consider the strategy. 

Thanks,

Oxanagig

0 Likes
1 Solution
MYKZ
Employee
Employee
5 solutions authored 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Have you checked the sample code we provide as a part of the dfuh-tool in ModusToolbox?

Windows: ModusToolbox\tools_2.2\dfuh-tool\sample_code\

Mac: /Applications/ModusToolbox/tools_2.2/dfuh-tool/dfuh-tool.app/Contents/sample_code

Let us know if it doesn't have what you need.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Oxanagig,

The file format for .cyacd2 file is mentioned in page number 51, Appendix C of the following DFU application note:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an213924-psoc-6-mcu-device-firmware-update-s...

My question is that could we at least get the .cyacd2 file parser file, so that we can implement the host code on the MCU?

Honestly, releasing the DFU host utility source will greatly help this type of project. Otherwise, it is wasting everybody's time to reverse engineer the DFU SDK code. Cypress will sell the chip anyway regardless of the DFU, the DFU does not make a profit. With the current situation, it could only hurt the business due to the bad customer experience.

I hope Cypress engineer would re-consider the strategy.

Sure, we will check with our internal team.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi,

There is also a Bootloader Host Program (BHP) provided with PSoC Creator. It operates much the same as DHT. You can find source files related to it from the following path if you have already downloaded PSoC Creator.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.3\PSoC Creator\cybootloaderutils

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

GaneshD_41​ I have checked the cybootloaderutils source code you mentioned, it is targeted for the .cyacd file. However, PSoC 6 uses.cyacd2 file. The formats are not the same.

0 Likes

GaneshD_41​ Thanks.

I will check the cybootloaderutils you mentioned.

0 Likes
MYKZ
Employee
Employee

Have you checked the sample code we provide as a part of the dfuh-tool in ModusToolbox?

Windows: ModusToolbox\tools_2.2\dfuh-tool\sample_code\

Mac: /Applications/ModusToolbox/tools_2.2/dfuh-tool/dfuh-tool.app/Contents/sample_code

Let us know if it doesn't have what you need.

Oxanagig3
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked 5 sign-ins

Thanks!

This is exactly what I am looking for.

I am using Mac, so this folder is very well hidden from the user.

It will be great if Cypress can mention this folder in the Device Firmware Update Host Guide.

Cheers!

0 Likes
MYKZ
Employee
Employee

Yes, we tried hard to hide it well. 🙂

Yes, we will fix the docs to describe how to access the sources.

0 Likes