Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData returns undocumented result CY_BLE_ERROR_INVALID_OPERATION

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1516261
Level 2
Level 2

Sometimes when calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData, CY_BLE_ERROR_INVALID_OPERATION is returned. This return value is not documented in the API description, so the reason for this is unknown. Before calling UpdateAdvScanData() I check that Cy_BLE_GetAdvertisementState() == CY_BLE_ADV_STATE_ADVERTISING. The result is not consistent, but always happens eventually when running long enough. After this happens the first time, all subsequent calls to UpdateAdvScanData returns CY_BLE_ERROR_INVALID_OPERATION.

I have tried to recover from this by calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_StopAdvertisement(), but when I do that CY_BLE_EVT_GAPP_ADVERTISEMENT_START_STOP is never received and the stack gets stuck in advertisement state CY_BLE_ADV_STATE_STOP_INITIATED. I have tried calling Cy_BLE_StackSoftReset() and Cy_BLE_StackShutdown(), but they do not seem to work, the specified event (CY_BLE_EVT_SOFT_RESET_COMPLETE/CY_BLE_EVT_STACK_SHUTDOWN_COMPLETE) are never received.

The test case I'm running sets a bit in the advertisement every 5 seconds, when this bit is set, the central node will connect, exchange a couple of messages and then disconnect. After the disconnect the advertisement is restarted with the bit set to 0. The problem happen after 5-10 minutes running this test case.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the development boards, but I got some other issues instead on the board (the periphal device is in state CY_BLE_ADV_STATE_ADVERTISING, but advertisement is not heard either by the central node or when I use a BLE scanning app on my phone, another issue is that Discconnect sometimes fails with CY_BLE_ERROR_NO_DEVICE_ENTITY even though I provide it with the bdHandle I received upon connection) so maybe I would've gotten it if it weren't for those other issues

However, I realized that I didn't have any checks that CY_BLE_EVT_GAPP_UPDATE_ADV_SCAN_DATA_COMPLETE was received before calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() again. So I added that and noticed that CY_BLE_INVALID operation is received when calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() in this situation.

However, it seems that the reason my code was able to call UpdateAdvScanData twice was that CY_BLE_EVT_GAPP_UPDATE_ADV_SCAN_DATA_COMPLETE was never received. This time between the two calls was 4.8 seconds and no complete event had been received in this period, even though Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() had returned CY_BLE_SUCCESS.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

I'd like to check if you find issue on your custom board, or DVK board? Based on your description, this issue is only occurred occasionally after "running long enough". I guess it might not be a explicit issue.

Anyway, please check firstly if the data to be updated is consistent with the settings in BLE customizer. For instance, the discovery mode.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm using the cy_ble_configPtr set by the customizer and I am only changing advData and advDataLength. The code is like this:

bool updateAdvertisement(cy_stc_ble_gapp_disc_data_t* advertisement)

{

if (advertisment->advDataLen <= CY_BLE_GAP_MAX_ADV_DATA_LEN)

{

cy_en_ble_api_result_t res = CY_BLE_SUCCESS;

memcpy(cy_ble_configPtr->discoveryModeInfo[cy_ble_advIndex].advData->advData, advertisment->advData, advertisment->advDataLen);

cy_ble_configPtr->discoveryModeInfo[cy_ble_advIndex].advData->advDataLen = advertisment->advDataLen;

if (Cy_BLE_GetAdvertisementState() == CY_BLE_ADV_STATE_ADVERTISING)

res = Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData(&cy_ble_configPtr->discoveryModeInfo[cy_ble_advIndex]);

CY_ASSERT(res == CY_BLE_SUCCESS);

return res == CY_BLE_SUCCESS;

}

else

{

return false;

}

}

0 Likes

Did you test on your custom board, or DVK board? Possible to attach simple project for us to reproduce this issue?

0 Likes

Hi, I had the issue on our custom boards. I'm currently working on creating a stripped down version to run on the development boards so I can see if can reproduce it on them

0 Likes

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the development boards, but I got some other issues instead on the board (the periphal device is in state CY_BLE_ADV_STATE_ADVERTISING, but advertisement is not heard either by the central node or when I use a BLE scanning app on my phone, another issue is that Discconnect sometimes fails with CY_BLE_ERROR_NO_DEVICE_ENTITY even though I provide it with the bdHandle I received upon connection) so maybe I would've gotten it if it weren't for those other issues

However, I realized that I didn't have any checks that CY_BLE_EVT_GAPP_UPDATE_ADV_SCAN_DATA_COMPLETE was received before calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() again. So I added that and noticed that CY_BLE_INVALID operation is received when calling Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() in this situation.

However, it seems that the reason my code was able to call UpdateAdvScanData twice was that CY_BLE_EVT_GAPP_UPDATE_ADV_SCAN_DATA_COMPLETE was never received. This time between the two calls was 4.8 seconds and no complete event had been received in this period, even though Cy_BLE_GAPP_UpdateAdvScanData() had returned CY_BLE_SUCCESS.

0 Likes