Creator Project OTA with MTB Project

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joshm
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 50 sign-ins 10 questions asked

I am using Creator since the new BLE stack and OTA for MTB is not yet available. My project uses an upgradable stack and a minimal bootloader app. Is there anything that will keep me from updating my Creator based project to a MTB based project using BLE OTA? If it can be done, is there anything that needs to be accounted for on the bootloader app to make sure it will load the BLE stack app and main application app? 

Thanks for the help!

Josh

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

In MTB (with AIROC BTStack) we have ota-update available for application firmware. There is no stack update in particular. But we will be sending the final .bin of the app as update. So, it will contain app + libraries. This way, we can have new stack through ota update. There is no app1 and app 2 like creator. It will be like app 0 as mcuboot bootloader app and app1+2 as the application(example FindMe).
Currently, we are working on developing a code example on OTA in new AIROC BTStack.

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Yugandhar

Hello @joshm , 

Could you please let me know if you are facing any issues in your creator project while doing OTA ? We have code examples in PSoC Creator on OTA. Please refer to the below code examples from the PSoC Creator for more information.
• CE216767, PSoC6 MCU with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Connectivity Bootloader.
• CE220959, PSoC6 MCU BLE Bootloader with External Memory.
• CE220960, PSoC6 MCU BLE Bootloader with Upgradeable Stack.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

0 Likes

OTA is running fine on my Creator projects, but I would like to be able to switch to MTB when OTA is supported using the new BLE stack for PSOC 63 on MTB. Unfortunately, I will soon only be able to do firmware updates over BLE, so if I change my project to be MTB based, I have to be able to switch from Creator to MTB using BLE OTA. I am wondering if there will be an issue doing this, and if there are any considerations that need to be made in designing the bootloader, so it can support bootloading Creator projects and MTB projects.

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello @joshm ,

For the new AIROC BTStack in MTB, we are currently working on OTA support for PSoC6 BLE Device.

APIs, Structures, macros etc., are different for both PSoC Creator BLESS Stack and MTB BTStack. 

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes

Yeah, that's what I thought. What I was hoping to get from my question is if there are any considerations to be made when implementing the bootloader to ensure that my bootloader - which is designed using Creator - will be able to support loading an application using MTB and AIROC. I won't be able to modify the bootloader as the devices will be in Secure life cycle phase by the time AIROC for PSoC6 is done. The bootloader doesn't have any BLE in it, and I figure it should be able to branch to an MTB application just as easily as one designed in Creator. Is this fair to say?

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

In PSoC Creator, DFU middleware are used for OTA. With MTB AIROC stack, concept of upgradable stack is slightly different. Currently in MTB, for AIROC Stack, we have ota-update library available (which will support OTA).

Please let me know the below details.
a. The list of libraries and their versions used by the bootloader?
b. On which CPU core Bootloader is running?

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I am using CYBLE-416045, and it doesn't look like the latest BLE OTA project on github supports PSOC 63. I was under the impression that the reason was because the current BTSDK used by MTB doesn't support PSOC 63 currently, but it is supposed to eventually. Am I wrong and there is a way to do it now? If there is a way I can get started switching my project to MTB right now, it might make sense for me to do that. 

a. attached is the project.h file for my bootloader app (app0). I am using PDL 3.1.5 including DFU 3.0.0 and Retarget I/O 1.20.0

b. I am working on 2 products. They both have the bootloader (app0) doing all the work on cm0p. They both run BLE on the DFU app (app1) on cm0p but have other peripheral comms on cm4. For the main app (app2), one of them uses single core BLE on cm0p while the other is dual core on cm0p and cm4.

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

In MTB (with AIROC BTStack) we have ota-update available for application firmware. There is no stack update in particular. But we will be sending the final .bin of the app as update. So, it will contain app + libraries. This way, we can have new stack through ota update. There is no app1 and app 2 like creator. It will be like app 0 as mcuboot bootloader app and app1+2 as the application(example FindMe).
Currently, we are working on developing a code example on OTA in new AIROC BTStack.

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes