Connecting to a non-cypress entity for serial communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jimctr
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

I would like to be able to interact with bleuio device (central) but still maintain the capability of interacting with the standard service provided for cypress devices.  When I scan the parameters for the bleuio/dialog device with my smart phone, this is what I get:  

jimctr_0-1613500329864.png

For me to be able to interact with this central device, is it as simple as assigning service uuid as a secondary;

jimctr_1-1613500435525.png

and then correspondingly setting read and write characteristics (of which I do not see any secondary fields)

jimctr_4-1613500613469.png

jimctr_5-1613500661113.png

Or do I add another custom service (say Server_UART2) on top of the original and enter in the respective values?

jimctr_0-1613501557129.png

Alright, tested the latter case and that does not seem to work, and based upon description a secondary service think this will not work as well.  What am I missing to be able to communicate with this other device?  Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

If both devices supports BLE, then you can establish a connection between the devices.
Please refer to the attached PSoC6_BLE_UART project. This example demonstrates how to use PSoC6 BLE device as a UART-BLE bridge(Custom SPP).
Overview: This code example uses a custom BLE profile to demonstrate the UART-BLE bridge functionality. In order to emulate both peer devices as UART COM ports, this example essentially consists of two projects –Central and Peripheral. When appropriately interfaced to a PC, each of the peer devices can be used as a COM port using a terminal application (like TeraTerm). The data sent through the terminal application at one end, appears at the other end, as it does over wired UART communication.
Note: This project requires two PSoC6 BLE Devices for establishing connection. You can also use 'Peripheral project' for establishing connection with Cysmart dongle/smartphone.

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Yugandhar

Hello,

Could you please provide some more information of your bleuio device  application ? Are you able to connect your peripheral device(PSoC6 BLE Device) with the Cysmart mobile app ?

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes

Hi P Yugandhar:

I don't believe this is an issue specific to Cypress, but when I try to connect serially between two different vendor devices, I hit a brick wall, and this probably has to do with the fact that there is no serial communication standard for Low Energy Bluetooth.  Tech Support (eg, Laird, Dialog) goes mysteriously silent when asked to address this type of issue (your case excluded).  I guess my question is more general.  Theoretically, if you supply the service and supply the characteristics (Tx,Rx) of the other vendors device, that should be SUFFICIENT to establish communication with their device - and it appears that the answer to this is no.  In the case of the dialog dongle, I started with a earlier firmware version and I was actually able to communicate in one direction with the CYBLE-416045.  After updating their firmware to the latest version, I could connect and stay connected but I simply could not communicate in either direction. 

First, I really like the PSOC platform because it is very intuitive to work with, so I would prefer to use this as a peripheral device as I will have other MCU tasks aside from radio to attend to.  I was hoping to find a dongle that takes AT commands or equivalent to hook up to a PC and act as a central device, and nothing exists as yet for Cypress BLE 5.0.  I believe that the EZ-serial platform will behave in a way similar to a dongle accepting AT commands, to establish scanning parameters and connect to Cypress peripheral devices.  I assume I will not run into any connectivity issues between EZ-serial on the Wiced platform and the UART BLE peripheral on the PSOC platform, but have ordered a CYBT- 353027-Eval t o make certain and if it works, I will just create a dongle with it.   Still, it would be nice to be able to communicate between different vendor devices and if there is a document that specifies step-by-step how this is accomplished, it would be great to attempt it.   I would prefer to use an off-the-shelf dongle rather than having to produce my own.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Yugandhar

Hello,

If both devices supports BLE, then you can establish a connection between the devices.
Please refer to the attached PSoC6_BLE_UART project. This example demonstrates how to use PSoC6 BLE device as a UART-BLE bridge(Custom SPP).
Overview: This code example uses a custom BLE profile to demonstrate the UART-BLE bridge functionality. In order to emulate both peer devices as UART COM ports, this example essentially consists of two projects –Central and Peripheral. When appropriately interfaced to a PC, each of the peer devices can be used as a COM port using a terminal application (like TeraTerm). The data sent through the terminal application at one end, appears at the other end, as it does over wired UART communication.
Note: This project requires two PSoC6 BLE Devices for establishing connection. You can also use 'Peripheral project' for establishing connection with Cysmart dongle/smartphone.

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes

Yes, I have been able to communicate with other Cypress modules as well as to my smart phone.  This issue I have been running into is trying to communicate with a Laird and Dialog module (Bleuio).  Again, I was under the impression that if you provide the service and characteristics, and both were running essentially serial communication services, then they should be able to interact.   For example, I am not able to communicate with the smart phone until I define the custom service provided along with the custom tx/rx characteristics that are specified under the GATT tab.  Once that is satisfied, communication can commence.  Again, I don't think this is necessarily a Cypress issue but possibly a Laird and Dialog issue.   Laird disconnects even when I specify their custom service (SPS serial) as part of the Cypress service.  An older firmware version of Dialog allowed for one way communication, but even that small miracle was revoked when upgrading to their newest firmware.  This points to a Dialog issue.  Again, including their serial service as a service supported under Cypress does not resolve the situation.  Unfortunately, Laird and Dialog have been less than helpful since the support requested spills over into technology not controlled by them (ie, Cypress BLE module).

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

Please check with Laird and Dialog technical support about this problem which you are facing.  Are you able to connect Laird and Dialog modules with your Smarphones ? If possible, please send the part number and related documents of these modules.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes