CYBLE 416045-2 EVAL Current

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
anikseng
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello all,

I have created the project using the CYBLE 416045-2 where the ADC continuously samples data and as soon as 240 bytes of data is acquired it is sending it through notification packet over the BLE (Project is attached herewith)

The connection is established properly, and I am able to send data continuously. I am trying to measure current during this entire process. I have attached my multi-meter with a jumper on the J8 jumper on the board as marked by yellow on the picture attached.  The J2 jumper (marked by blue) decides the voltage level on the board. With 3.3 V I am observing current of 117.3mA however when I open the J2 jumper (board running on 1.8V) the current I am observing is around 1.2mA however in this case I am not able to find the BLE connection of the board on the Cy smart app or even on the BLE dongle. 

Can anyone guide me is this the correct way to measure current for this board? If so, what am I doing wrong such that the current is going to 117.3mA in 3.3V case because it is WAY TOO MUCH above the board specification. 

Also, if there is any wrong on the programming side could you guide me on how to reduce current for this case. I want to run the board on minimum possible power and minimum possible current cause it needs to run for days on a single cell of battery.

Thanking you,

Anik Sengupta

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello @anikseng ,

I didn't observe the huge currents with my boards. Could you please check with some other DMM?

Also, if you have other EVAL Board then please check your observations.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Yugandhar

Hello @anikseng

I have tested the project with my board, and I observed only 6.3mA from the board. 

Could you please check your board with any other code examples (ex: PSoC6BLE_FindMe) from the PSoC Creator.

For low power implementation in your code, you can refer to the CE219881_PowerModes, PSoC6BLE_FindMe code examples from the PSoC Creator.  

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

0 Likes
anikseng
Level 2
Level 2

Hello @Yugandhar ,

Could you please tell me how you measured the current. Did you check the current with my given project right? And what is the supply you have used?

c

Because I am getting some weird results which I have demonstrated in the video attached. I am powering the Eval board with an external power supply and have placed an ammeter in series with the power (I have also tried measuring it from the current pins present in the board) . I will explain the situation a little, when the power supply is 2 volt , I am measuring current about 3.99mA but the Bluetooth connection is not visible on any of the BLE app provided by cypress. When I slightly increase the voltage to 2.1 Volt the current jumps to 45mA( even at 2.09 I am observing the same thing as in 2 Volt) . Now the funny part is when I remove the ammeter from the system, I can even get BLE connection visible at 1.8Volt. 

These same situation happens if I run my board with simple ADC program( without BLE)

Can you tell me if I am doing anything? We could arrange a one on one meeting if you want a live demonstration of the system. It’s very urgent could you please provide me with a solution for this.

video demonstration  can be accessed from this link ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/15hrZC3nK8thWvopkO_nDdl_ujAe0aXl5/view?usp=drivesdk   )

Thanking you,

Anik Sengupta

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello @anikseng , 

In the board, to what pins you are giving the voltage supply? Please provide the complete schematic diagram of supply connections to the board. 

Kindly refer to the user guide and schematic files of the board from below link.

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cyble-416045-eval/?utm_source=cypress&utm_...

Please check your results with powering the board using USB cable. 

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
anikseng
Level 2
Level 2

Hello @Yugandhar ,

As mentioned, I have measure current while powering the board using USB cable. I get the same results as the one with powering the board from an external power supply. 

Yes, I have schematics of the EVAL board and have designed it according to that. I have attached my schematics which I have used:

1) Attachment 1: Schematic with ammeter connected. Here I have mentioned in the previous post about what is happening.

2) Attachment 2: Schematics with resistor of 1 ohm connected. Here I am able to get my board working with BLE at 1.8V but the current I am measuring is about 45mA.

The pins mentioned are:

P6_VDD: J4 2nd Pin

GND: J4 7th Pin and J5 4th Pin

10.1: J6 9th Pin

10.0: J6 11th Pin

10.6: J6 13th Pin

The signal 1 and signal 2 are my input signals.

Could you please let me know the method you have used?

We can have a zoom call to discuss this further, here is my mail ID: anikseng@usc.edu

Thanking you,

Anik Sengupta

0 Likes
anikseng
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

One more thing I forgot to add in my previous post. I checked the device current with the BLEFindMe project which is described in the YouTube channel( PSoC 6 101: Lesson 3-1 Introduction to BLE - YouTube).

With this project also, I measure around 14mA for 1.8V and 67mA for 3.3 V.

Thanking you,

Anik Sengupta

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello @anikseng ,

I didn't observe the huge currents with my boards. Could you please check with some other DMM?

Also, if you have other EVAL Board then please check your observations.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

0 Likes