CY8C61x6: Can a GPIO input signal be used as a count signal for a TCPWM[0] counter

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
scollyer
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First question asked Welcome!

I have a project that's using an external sync clock signal that I want to use an input to a counter. The signal of interest is connected to the P7.6 pin.  I'm confused as to whether GPIO inputs can be assigned for this function. From the PDL documentation. The TRM for this chip family describes 16 available trigger inputs.

Each TCPWM block has 14 Trigger_In signals, which come from other on-chip resources such as other TCPWMs, SCBs, or
DMA. The Trigger_In signals are shared with all counters inside of one TCPWM block. Use the Trigger Mux registers to
configure which signals get routed to the Trigger_In for each TCPWM block. See the Trigger Multiplexer Block chapter on
page 267 for more details. Two constant trigger inputs ‘0’ and ‘1’ are available in addition to the 14 Trigger_In. For each
counter, the trigger input source is selected using the TCPWM_CNT_TR_CTRL0 register.

I'm not sure if a GPIO signal would be considered an other on-chip resource. For my particular case, the sync signal is connected to P7.6.  I attempted to use the device configurator (v4.0) tool, but when I select count_input to be a rising edge, I don't see P7.6 as an available Count signal option.

From the Pins tab of the device configurator, I can set up P7.6 as a digital High-Z input, and then the Digital Output drop down allows me to assign it to TCPWM[0] Counter7, which is the counter I'm attempting to use, but something doesn't seem complete with this.

I also see following 'fixme' in tasks

Task: The personality 'Timer - Counter' instantiated at block 'TCPWM[0] 32-bit Counter 7' does not expose the port line. [CY8C6136BZI-F34: TCPWM[0] 32-bit Counter 7 [TCPWM[0] 32-bit Counter 7]]

Also, since I haven't selected a Count Signal (because I don't see P7.6 as an option, I also have this fix me note

Task: The 'Count Signal' parameter must not be empty. [CY8C6136BZI-F34: TCPWM[0] 32-bit Counter 7 [Count Signal]]

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakesh_Patrudu
25 solutions authored 5 likes given 50 replies posted

Hi @scollyer ,

Can you please mention why do you want to use the same pin P7.6 for both TCPWM output and Count signal of TCPWM block, instead you can use two GPIO pins, one output pin for TCPWM output and one input pin connected with sync clock can be used for Count signal. Kindly refer to the Device Datasheet to know about the pin functionality.

Best regards,
Rakesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Rakesh_Patrudu
25 solutions authored 5 likes given 50 replies posted

Hi @scollyer ,

Can you please mention why do you want to use the same pin P7.6 for both TCPWM output and Count signal of TCPWM block, instead you can use two GPIO pins, one output pin for TCPWM output and one input pin connected with sync clock can be used for Count signal. Kindly refer to the Device Datasheet to know about the pin functionality.

Best regards,
Rakesh

0 Likes