Any move to have PSOC6 support 6LoPan? WiFi and BT are OK but have issues a Sub GHz radio offers much more.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSOC6 looks great for the IOT however without a reliable communications back bone it becomes yet another niffy processor.   The many versions of blue tooth make reliable connections an issue.  While BT has many great features It would appear the industry insiders have crippled it or are withholding key pc of technology to reduce competition. WIFi is great but a power hog.   The 6LoPan standard would be a great match up with PSOC6 at both edge and client nodes.  Sensinode (a leader in 6LoPan) was purchased by ARM a year + ago.     Last I checked Cypress did not offer a Sub GHz  radio ST Spirit radio performs well, ST has Gen 2 radio with some fixes and enhancements.

Found the useful  links below.

Spirit mbedOS 6LowPan node:  https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbed-os-example-client

Spirit mbedOS 6LowPan Border router: https://github.com/ARMmbed/nanostack-border-router

0 Likes
1 Solution

SUB 1 GHZ radios are going to require more flexibility in the parts, Oscillators, filters, antennas... what freq band are you wanting to use?  The sub 1ghz radio could be better as an external device,  no reason why you could not interface a PSOC6 BLE device to a much bigger and powerful radio.   Ham radio 440mhz <> BLE <> Laptop or Tablet device.   How far do you want to transmit?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious as well. While WiFi, BLE, and BLE 5 are sexy, a lot of real industrial work is done on sub ! GHz.

0 Likes

SUB 1 GHZ radios are going to require more flexibility in the parts, Oscillators, filters, antennas... what freq band are you wanting to use?  The sub 1ghz radio could be better as an external device,  no reason why you could not interface a PSOC6 BLE device to a much bigger and powerful radio.   Ham radio 440mhz <> BLE <> Laptop or Tablet device.   How far do you want to transmit?

0 Likes

Hi, I was curious if Cypress still has no plans on a sub 1 ghz solution for implantable devices for example.

0 Likes