VSCode Compiler Output is misformatted causing warning and errors to not show up

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
azBlock1
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I am using Visual Studio Code (VSCode) along with PSOC6 project which was created using Modus Toolbox version 3.0.0.9369.

I originally created a BSP and generated a Visual Studio Code project directly using the Infineon project creator.

The project builds and generates a .hex file successfully and im able to debug it on the MCU.

However, during the build the compiler messages get improperly printed causing the error and warning parser in VSCode to not pick them up correctly.

azBlock1_0-1674079705257.png

Screenshot attached shows what the compiler output actually looks like and it appears to print parts of multiple messages interleaved with each other which causes visual studio code to report different amount of warnings/error on each build.

Any help on how to make this work better would be appreciated as this is the only combination of compiler and editor where ive ever had a problem not being able to read the actual compiler messages.

0 Likes
1 Solution
PandaS
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 5 likes given

Hi @azBlock1 ,

We have created an internal ticket for the same issue. Respective teams are working on it to resolve the issue. Thank you for pointing this out.

Thanks and regards,

Sobhit

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
PandaS

Hi @azBlock1 ,

I recreated the issue at my end. Thank you for pointing this out. I will create an internal ticket regarding the issue of Compiler Output mis format in VSCode for MTB3.0 project. 

Warm regards

Sobhit

0 Likes
haneefdm
Employee
Employee
First reply posted Welcome!

Did you check the "PROBLEMS" tab? I believe VSCode puts all extracts the errors/warnings from the output (terminal) and puts them in the PROBLEMS tab.

0 Likes

Yes VSCode puts what it can parse out into problems tab. But the problem is because the compiler output is not readable by a human VSCode cant parse it out correctly.

A coworker ended up working on the problem since i posted and he found that the following improves the output handling as it was possibly the color coding of text that was causing issues with Cygwin compiler message buffering.

CFLAGS= -fdiagnostics-color=never -fdiagnostics-urls=never -fdiagnostics-path-format=separate-events
0 Likes
haneefdm
Employee
Employee

You are correct. In addition to what your colleague suggested, the output can be garbled and it is caused by the parallel make. Apparently, you can use the '--output-sync' option on make to make the output come out in a sane manner

Terminal Output (GNU make)

I have not tried this myself. Lets see if together (CFLAGS and Make option) makes it any better

0 Likes
haneefdm
Employee
Employee

Yes, errors do show up in the PROBLEMS tab but there seems to be a problem with the problem matcher as the path names to the files don't seem right. Clicking on the error results in an File not found issue in VSCode.

This worked fine in 2.4 and seems to be issue in 3.0

0 Likes
PandaS

Hi @azBlock1 ,

We have created an internal ticket for the same issue. Respective teams are working on it to resolve the issue. Thank you for pointing this out.

Thanks and regards,

Sobhit

0 Likes