what is the max sourcing and sinking current on GPIO pins for CY8C3866AXI-040? I would also like to know the maximum voltage rating of GPIO pins.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shjoc_4290246
Level 1
Level 1

What is the max sourcing and sinking current on GPIO pins for CY8C3866AXI-040? I would also like to know the maximum voltage rating of GPIO pins.

On the datasheet I found following with regards to VGPIO. Max VGPIO is VDDIO+0.5.But note 19 says Max voltage on GPIO has to be less than or equal to VDDIO

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Here is the maximum current that a GPIO can handle. Please refer page number 21 of the pin component datasheet.

4mA source, 8mA sink – Default

▪ 4mA source, 10mA sink – Requires GPIO_OVT or SIO (PSoC 4 only)

▪ 4mA source, 25mA sink – Requires SIO

Coming to the maximum voltage on the GPIO, the voltage on the pin should be less than VDDIO of that corresponding port. But if the voltage on he pin exceeds the VDDIO by 0.5 volts, the ESD diodes present inside the chip would be damaged.

Please refer page number 168 of the following document.

https://www.cypress.com/file/124706/download

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Here is the maximum current that a GPIO can handle. Please refer page number 21 of the pin component datasheet.

4mA source, 8mA sink – Default

▪ 4mA source, 10mA sink – Requires GPIO_OVT or SIO (PSoC 4 only)

▪ 4mA source, 25mA sink – Requires SIO

Coming to the maximum voltage on the GPIO, the voltage on the pin should be less than VDDIO of that corresponding port. But if the voltage on he pin exceeds the VDDIO by 0.5 volts, the ESD diodes present inside the chip would be damaged.

Please refer page number 168 of the following document.

https://www.cypress.com/file/124706/download

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

RiMo_301056
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins First solution authored 10 replies posted

Hi, regarding the maximum voltage on GPIO pins:

it should not be more than VDDIO on that port.

VDDIO on the other hand should not be more than VDDA. (VDDA should always be the pin with the highest voltage of all pins of the chip).

The recommended operating values for VDDA are within the range of 1.8 to 5.5V.

Therefore, provided that VDDA and VDDIO are supplied with 5.5V, the maximum input voltage on GPIO pins could be 5.5V.

This is the highest limit and I would not go beyond that. I would even feel more comfortable with limiting these voltages to 5.0V. This allows some headroom for power supply ripple, spikes.

Hi,

In addition to the above responses, please note that the absolute maximum ratings mentioned in the device datasheet are those values that chip can withstand. The source and sink measurements I mentioned in the previous response are not absolute maximum ratings but any currents beyond these levels will vary the logic of the outputs.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes