Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

hello, 

I want to use pin 15[6] on my CY8C5888 but after designing the board I realized it defaults to a USBIO. I looked through the datasheet but couldn't actually find how to use it as an IO. is it possible to make it available through the GUI pin assignment or is it something where I'll have to directly write the register?

any help on how to do this would be great.

edit: accidentally wrote 12[6] instead of 15[6]

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

duno,

Are you sure the pin you're having difficulty with is P12[6]?

On the CY8C5888 I could only find references of the USBIO pins on P15[6] and P15[7].

I looked at the PSoC5LP family datasheet and copies some references to the USBIO pins here.  (Note the highlighted text:

For devices with FS USB, the USB physical interface is also provided (USBIO). When not using USB, these
pins may also be used for limited digital functionality and device programming.

Devices that include USB also provide two USBIO pins that support specific USB functionality as well as limited GPIO capability.

USBIO, D+. Provides D+ connection directly to a USB 2.0 bus.   May be used as a digital I/O pin; it is powered from VDDD instead of from a VDDIO. Pins are Do Not Use (DNU) on devices without USB.

USBIO, D-. Provides D- connection directly to a USB 2.0 bus.  May be used as a digital I/O pin; it is powered from VDDD instead of from a VDDIO. Pins are Do Not Use (DNU) on devices without USB.

The USBIO pins (P15[7] and P15[6]), when enabled for I/O mode, have limited drive mode control. The drive mode is set using the PRT15.DM0[7, 6] register. A resistive pull option is also available at the USBIO pins, which can be enabled using the PRT15.DM1[7,6] register. When enabled for USB mode, the drive mode control has no impact on the configuration of the USB pins. Unlike the GPIO and SIO configurations, the port wide configuration registers do not configure the USB drive mode bits. Table 6-7 shows the drive mode configuration for the USBIO pins.

Do any of these statements from the datasheet apply to you?

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

duno,

Are you sure the pin you're having difficulty with is P12[6]?

On the CY8C5888 I could only find references of the USBIO pins on P15[6] and P15[7].

I looked at the PSoC5LP family datasheet and copies some references to the USBIO pins here.  (Note the highlighted text:

For devices with FS USB, the USB physical interface is also provided (USBIO). When not using USB, these
pins may also be used for limited digital functionality and device programming.

Devices that include USB also provide two USBIO pins that support specific USB functionality as well as limited GPIO capability.

USBIO, D+. Provides D+ connection directly to a USB 2.0 bus.   May be used as a digital I/O pin; it is powered from VDDD instead of from a VDDIO. Pins are Do Not Use (DNU) on devices without USB.

USBIO, D-. Provides D- connection directly to a USB 2.0 bus.  May be used as a digital I/O pin; it is powered from VDDD instead of from a VDDIO. Pins are Do Not Use (DNU) on devices without USB.

The USBIO pins (P15[7] and P15[6]), when enabled for I/O mode, have limited drive mode control. The drive mode is set using the PRT15.DM0[7, 6] register. A resistive pull option is also available at the USBIO pins, which can be enabled using the PRT15.DM1[7,6] register. When enabled for USB mode, the drive mode control has no impact on the configuration of the USB pins. Unlike the GPIO and SIO configurations, the port wide configuration registers do not configure the USB drive mode bits. Table 6-7 shows the drive mode configuration for the USBIO pins.

Do any of these statements from the datasheet apply to you?

Len
0 Likes

yes, sorry for the typo. I don't know why I wrote port 12 instead of port 15. I updated my original post. 

is there a way to use/assign them from the GUI? 

I can probably look it up, but do you happen to know which registers to write to to set/clear the pins?

0 Likes

duno,

Have you ever used the Design Wide Resource (DWR) Pins tab?

Here's a pics to refer to.  Notice the areas in the RED boxes.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1649371061413.png

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1649370944843.png

Len
0 Likes

for me, P15[6] does not show up in that list. it is still listed on the pinout for the TQFP100 part in the datasheet, but it does not show in the dropdown. I'm wondering if there is some way to get it into that list. you are using the 5888LTI and I'm using the AXI. 

0 Likes

I didn't realize I was using a drive mode that wasn't one of the ones allowed by the pin, so it wasn't showing up in the list. thanks for your help. 

0 Likes