using USB UART after snapping kitprog off of cy8ckit-059

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
duno_297731
Level 3
Level 3
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

I removed the kitprog from the 059 stick, and it no longer enumerates a serial port (still works for programming). I want to hook up J9, pins 6 and 7, in order to use the USB UART. is there a sense pin or something that is severed?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

In the kit guide, there is a diagram

001-from-guide.JPG

So if you want use the USB-Serial function of the kit prog please connect

KitProg Target

VTARG - VDD

GND - GND

P12[7] - P12[6]

P12[6] - P12[7]

I just tried with a KitProg from CY8CKIT-043 and the UART print out is working.

IMG_4539.JPG

moto

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

In the kit guide, there is a diagram

001-from-guide.JPG

So if you want use the USB-Serial function of the kit prog please connect

KitProg Target

VTARG - VDD

GND - GND

P12[7] - P12[6]

P12[6] - P12[7]

I just tried with a KitProg from CY8CKIT-043 and the UART print out is working.

IMG_4539.JPG

moto

Hi.

The programmer portion still enumerates and provide a com port after it is separated from the application part of the kit. I just tried it again to double check and I have done it before as well.

The best way to separate the programmer from the application board is to cut along the perforations with a carpet knife as the UART and I2C tracks run  between the perforations and can be torn off the board if you just break it off. I have learned this by experience!

Best regards

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

duno,

You are correct.   This is because the Target Boards port pins for the UART's P12.7 -Tx and P12.6 - Rx are connected to the KitProg's P12.6  -Rx and P12.7 -Tx  respectively.

The 5-pin headers on the KitProg (J7) and the Target board (J3) are only for VTARG (VDD), GND, RST and SWCLK and SWIO.  When separating the two boards not only are these traces cut but 4 other traces (for a UART and I2C) interface are too.

To reconnect the UART interface between the target board and KitProg you need to make the following connections shown in colors.

pastedImage_2.png

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."